The Kinsta MU plugin is installed by default on every site hosted at Kinsta and is required to make sure your site runs smoothly in our environment.
Check out our documentation on how to manage its settings or update it.
Below you’ll find all notable changes to this project.
Kinsta MU Plugin, Version 2.4.8
KINSTAMU_CACHE_PURGE_TIMEOUTto override the
default 5 second timeout
- Switched cache clearing calls to use curl instead of
- Banned plugins banner is no longer broken for a deleted plugin not
- Term and menu edits no longer purge the cache if
KINSTAMU_DISABLE_AUTOPURGEis set to
- Added WordPress-Docs to PHPCS standards.
- Cache classes refactor to modernize code.
- New action hook after full page/object cache purging is
- New filter hook to block clearing cache from WP Admin.
- Better detection for WordPress mobile mode via the wp_is_mobile
- Post types that are not viewable will no longer be purged from
- Cache purge should now work again for comments added to a post via
the front-end comments form.
- Cache purge will now happen automatically for term update and
- Make Admin Bar cache clear links request the plugin page so referrer
- Fix PHP warnings.
- Fix PHP to be testable with PHPCS against WordPress-Core coding
- Remove WP-Optimize from warning list.
- Fix referrer URL for Admin Bar cache clear links duplicating the
Subsite path in Multisite Networks.
- Add Duplicator Pro to warning list.
- The Clear Cache links on the Admin Toolbar will now try to redirect
to the referring URL instead of getting redirected to the admin-ajax.php
URL displaying 0.
- Fix accessibility issue on Clear Cache submenu when Object Cache is
- The plugin now has a local development environment to make
development a better process for contributors.
- Undefined index in cache clear function.
- Deprecated code for PHP 8.0.
- UpdraftPlus removed from the banned plugins list.
- EWWW Image Optimizer removed from the banned plugins list.
- Banned plugins list update.
- Plugin URL points to the Kinsta KB page.
- Better cache purge hook handling on post status change.
- Undefined function get_current_screen in some cases.
- KINSTA_CDN_USERDIRS related bug fix.
- Disable Swift Performance plugin cache.
- Wordfence plugin integration enhancements.
- Handling of CDN asset rewrites in REST API requests.
- Quick fix: extend function result check.
- Quick fix: a missing variable.
- Quick fix: image source rewrite bug in case of assets starts with
“//” or loaded from third-party source.
- Quick fix: Undefined index: excludes.
- Fixed minor dashboard issues.
- Improved security.
- Switched from absolute file path includes to the relative file
- Prevent CDN rewriting of admin-ajax.php.
- Rewrite Image Attachment URLs in WP-API sub-resources.
- Add an option to exclude file types from CDN URL.
- Quick fix: removed unnecessary span tags from the plugin’s “Add A
Custom URL” dashboard when the site has a very long domain.
- Quick fix for an odd WP behavior of including the functions.php in
the compat folder.
- Removed the PushEngage plugin from the plugin warning list.
- Removed the WordFence plugin from the plugin warning list.
- Removed abandoned plugin API endpoints.
WORDFENCE_DISABLE_LIVE_TRAFFICto true and show
error message if it is already set to false.
- Fixed missing
wp_json_encodefunction before WP
- Fixed minor CSS issue.
- Minor bug fixes.
- Add UTM source to the Kinsta.com link.
wp kinsta plugin listWP CLI command.
- Updated the white-labeling options for the banned plugin
- PDF file is added to the CDN rewritable list.
- Banned plugins are deactivated from now on.
- Disallowed plugins are detected and a notice showed to the
appropriate admin users.
- These plugins can’t be installed via the online plugin installer
from now on.
- Updated an init hooks priority.
- Added a variable to prevent repeted single page cache purge during
the same action.
- Added a variable to prevent repeted all cache purge during the same
- Added JS level HTML escape.
- Update the cache purge class initiate order.
- Fixed a white-label related minor issue.
- Backward compatible issue with WP Rocket plugin version 3.0.1.
2.0 – 2.0.14
- Integrated CDN.
- A PHP constant for defining custom path for the mu plugin’s assets,
define( 'KINSTAMU_CUSTOM_MUPLUGIN_URL', 'http://yourdomain.com/custom-wp-content/mu-plugins');.
- A PHP constant for switching of the server level cache’s auto purge
on add/update/delete posts, e.g.
- WP CLI issue warning.
- Sitemap to the purge list.
- Purge list filters/hooks.
- Option to add further directories to the CDN replaceable paths.
- Default AMP pages purge added.
- New Kinsta UI design.
- Several multisite issues with purge part.
og:imagesURL. It seems OG images don’t like the
- The RegEx made possible that some links which directly called from
“/” were replaced.
- Sometimes, the script made unnecessary replaces. Now it only does it
when the asset belongs to the following extensions:
- Symlink issue with Bedrock installs. Using WPMU_PLUGIN_URL constant
from now on.
- HTTP – HTTPS asset issue when the site URL is HTTP but the site is
called via HTTPS.
- Poor looking URL path in case of long URL.
- Text update related to Object Cache.
- Some rare warning issues.
- Feed URLs are purged inmediattely after updates.
- Timeouts to internal
- HTTP detection.
- Unnecessary remaining test files.