Bought by GoDaddy in 2013, Media Temple is a general web host that offers shared, VPS, dedicated, and WordPress hosting.
One of the biggest issues users experience with Media Temple is that it’s not very straightforward and transparent, particularly when it comes to its plans and services. Some users find its architecture of clustered servers (the “Grid”) confusing. Plus, although Media Temple plans are not cheap, most premium security, support, and performance features require an additional fee.
Every day at Kinsta, we hear from unhappy customers looking for a better Media Temple alternative. Many are interested in learning more about what makes Kinsta so different from other providers in the industry. We’re excited to answer that here, and take you through the key benefits of using Kinsta for your managed WordPress hosting!
How Kinsta Compares to Media Temple in a Nutshell
Before we discuss Kinsta vs Media Temple in detail, we want to provide a brief summary of the key differences between the two hosting providers.
Kinsta is the highest-rated managed WordPress host on G2, which is the world’s leading software review and comparison site:
Enjoy a 20% Faster Website Simply by Moving From Media Temple to Kinsta
We measured 3,200+ migrations over the course of a three-month span. On average, client sites experienced 20% faster load times just by moving to Kinsta.
How is this possible? Our customers enjoy:
- The fastest Compute-Optimized C2 VMs and Google Cloud servers
- A stack that’s been fine-tuned for WordPress over the past 8 years
- Google’s Premium Tier Network to deliver website data faster
- Free CDN powered by Cloudflare’s global network of 275+ locations
- A hard-to-beat server-level caching solution
Migrate from Media Temple to Kinsta hassle free with our free expert migration service. With our 30-day money-back guarantee, you can test out the service and improved speeds completely risk-free. You only lose if you don’t give this a try!
The Kinsta platform is powered exclusively by the Google Cloud Platform. Using Google’s premium-tier network enables us to maximize website performance for each site we host.
Let’s take a look at some of the other major differences between Kinsta and Media Temple:
- Kinsta is a WordPress-specific host, with a team of experienced engineers and WordPress experts. Media Temple does not specialize in WordPress specifically.
- Kinsta is the fastest WordPress host and it has been for 5 years in a row (independent benchmark).
- Kinsta has 35 data centers across the globe, while Media Temple only has servers located in California. What’s more, Kinsta’s global CDN spans over 200 regions, as compared to Media Temple’s 11.
- All sites on Kinsta are monitored for uptime 720 times a day. Media Temple provides uptime monitoring only as an additional advanced support add-on for $199 per month.
- Unlike Media Temple, Kinsta includes a free Content Delivery Network (CDN) and free premium DNS with all of its plans. Media Temple charges $10 per month for CDN plans for a single site or $30 for 5 installs.
- All sites on Kinsta are secured by a Cloudflare integration, which includes a secure firewall and free DDoS protection. Media Temple doesn’t provide any WAF with its plans, and uses the Sucuri firewall as a paid add-on for up to $30 per month. Kinsta works with Google Cloud’s premium global tier network to provide the fastest speed and lower latency.
- Kinsta includes a free one-click SSL with our Let’s Encrypt integration on every plan, as well as the option to import your own certificate. Media Temple plans don’t offer free SSL certificates unless you opt for a Pro plan with yearly billing. They also do not support third-party SSL certificates.
- For its managed WordPress plans, Media Temple includes only daily backups with a 1GB size limit. At Kinsta, we don’t have limits like this in place.
- Kinsta provides free, human-performed website migrations for all plans. Media Temple offers migrations for an extra fee of $150 per site
- Kinsta provides our custom-built, WordPress-specific MyKinsta dashboard. Media Temple uses cPanel and Plesk.
- Kinsta offers a free hack-fix guarantee, meaning that if your site gets hacked, we fix it for free. Although Media Temple offers disaster recovery and malware removal services, these also incur an additional one-time fee of $150 per website.
- Kinsta performs weekly automatic MySQL database optimization on all sites to ensure better performance, whereas Media Temple only lets you optimize the database yourself or pay an additional fee for the advanced support package, which is $199 per month.
- Kinsta allows you to load your site over reverse proxy. Media Temple only makes this available for VPS and dedicated plans.
- Media Temple’s managed WordPress plans don’t support HTTP/2 connections at all. All Kinsta plans come with HTTP/2 support.
- WordPress Multisite features are not supported by Media Temple’s dedicated Managed WordPress products. Kinsta supports multisite setup on the Pro plan and above.
- Kinsta offers a 30-day money-back guarantee. While Media Temple also offers this deal, it doesn’t offer cash-back refunds but only hosting credit.
Try it out for yourself with our free MyKinsta dashboard demo! Register your account to see the user-friendly interface and explore our various tools.
Kinsta is Built for Performance and Scalability
Unlike Media Temple, Kinsta doesn’t fall into traditional hosting categories such as shared, VPS, and/or dedicated. We carved a unique path to provide a platform and infrastructure that’s unlike any other in the industry.
Kinsta is the first managed WordPress host to exclusively use the Google Cloud Platform, which allows us to deliver unmatched performance, speed, and scalability to every site hosted with us. For each site, we use LXD-managed hosts and LXC software containers that include all necessary resources, such as Linux, Nginx, MySQL, and PHP.
To put it simply, all your resources are always isolated, and therefore protected. We don’t offer shared hosting, so privacy is never a concern, nor are overloaded remote servers or limited resources.
At Kinsta, your MySQL databases are hosted at localhost, leading to faster queries and loading times. Thanks to our scalable cloud infrastructure, you can upgrade or downgrade with ease, without ever having to worry about uptime.
We use Google Cloud Platform’s compute-optimized C2 machines that enable our clients to see significant average response time improvements. Simply by moving to our platform, Kinsta can provide a speed improvement of up to 300% (depending on the type of site you have). As you can see below:
Migration of the site over to these guys is a complete simple breeze, they do it all once you send them the site details, although if you are not sure they are on hand to assist you anyway via the online message box in the admin area of your dashboard.
While it offers managed WordPress hosting, Media Temple is not a WordPress-specific host. It also provides generic shared and VPS hosting.
Kinsta plans start at just $35 per month, and include all the advanced technologies and features needed to maximize site speed, performance, and security. Although Media Temple has comparable prices, its plans don’t include nearly the same amount of features, control, and extras that we provide.
Most security, monitoring, and support services at Media Temple are only available as premium add-ons or via additional subscription plans. This means your monthly hosting bill can be significantly higher than planned
According to research gathered by SoftwareFindr, in addition to features and functionality, Kinsta outperforms Media Temple in terms of value for your money, ease of use, and customer support.
MyKinsta: A Custom-Built Dashboard for Powerful Site Management
As with many traditional hosting providers, Media Temple offers its users the choice between using cPanel or Plesk on most plans. At Kinsta, we weren’t satisfied with these basic control panels, which is why we built our own custom user portal from scratch.
MyKinsta earned the highest Ease of Admin rating in its category on G2, the world-leading software review site.
Designed specifically for WordPress site management, the MyKinsta dashboard gives you a clean, intuitive interface and full control over every aspect of your websites:
Let’s take a look at some of the powerful features that make our MyKinsta dashboard so useful:
- Quick access to phpMyAdmin and a button to change your database password.
- Premium Amazon Route 53 DNS included, so you can directly manage your DNS records.
- One-click CDN integration to speed up your site.
- A built-in Cloudflare integration with optimized settings to secure and boost the performance of your site without the need for a separate Cloudflare subscription.
- Detailed insights and analytics, including bandwidth and visitor data, performance analysis data, CDN usage and insights, and cache HIT and MISS ratio.
- Search and replace tool for making bulk updates on your site.
- One-click toggle between PHP versions, and the option to restart PHP when needed.
- Website redirect management.
- Ability to quickly purge the site cache within the dashboard.
- One-click staging environments.
- Features to push staging sites live and restore backups to staging, as well as options for quickly backing up your site.
- Ability to heighten login security by adding your SSH keys to the dashboard.
- IP Deny tool for blocking IP addresses with ease.
- New Relic integration (license required) for getting detailed insights and performance statistics.
- WordPress debugging tool for viewing warnings, errors, and notices on your site.
- Simple password protection for your environment.
- Free one-click Let’s Encrypt SSL certificates, and an option to import your own third-party SSL.
- Kinsta supports PHP 8.1, which is the fastest and most secure version.
- We offer six types of backups: free automatic/daily, optional hourly, manual, system generated, downloadable, and external backups sent automatically to your Amazon S3 or Google Cloud storage.
- Kinsta provides a site-healing feature.
- We offer free staging environment and one-click SSL with our Let’s Encrypt integration on every plan.
- All sites at Kinsta come with a free one-click staging environment.
- Kinsta offers premium 24/7 multilingual support for all clients.
- Kinsta has a very attractive affiliate program with recurring commissions.
Don’t take our word for it, though. Give it a try for yourself! By creating a free account, you can demo the MyKinsta dashboard and explore its interface and tools, to see firsthand what makes it so superior to the other portals and control panels out there.
We care about our clients’ opinions and appreciate their input, which is why many MyKinsta features have been directly inspired by feedback from our clients. We actively listen to client requests, and always look for improvements that help make your life more productive.
Optimized for WooCommerce and Easy Digital Downloads
Kinsta’s platform is optimized to effectively handle the complex intricacies and unique challenges that come with managing ecommerce sites. Our hosting solutions can help boost the speed and performance of your WooCommerce or Easy Digital Downloads store.
We do this in a variety of ways, including:
- Excluding certain pages that shouldn’t be cached, such as ‘my account’, checkout, and cart pages.
- Delivering server-level page caching with specific rules that allow for EDD and WooCommerce functionality.
- By default, automatically bypassing the cache for users when “edit_items_in_cart” or “woocommerce_items_in_cart cookie” are detected, ultimately delivering a smooth and seamless checkout process.
While Media Temple does offer self-managed ecommerce services, it provides no specific features aimed at WooCommerce or Easy Digital Downloads users on its shared and WordPress hosting plans.
Instead, ecommerce uses are pointed to either the VPS plans or managed plans for Amazon Web Services (AWS). For any specific details or pricing information, you’ll need to reach out to the Media Temple team.
It’s also important to remember that when it comes to online storefronts, speed is essential. As the fastest WordPress host out there, Kinsta makes sure performance is never a concern.
Every year, Review Signal conducts and publishes a performance testing review on some of the most popular web hosts in the industry. Kinsta has achieved “top tier” performance five years in a row!
Let’s take a look at how Media Temple stacked up against Kinsta in the most recent round both hosts participated in. Both Kinsta’s and Media Temple’s managed WordPress business plans were reviewed. Review Signal created identical dummy sites with each provider in order to conduct the tests.
Web Performance Benchmarks
WebPageTest.org was used to measure the overall loading time for each hosting provider in seconds, with the tests performed in 11 different geographical locations:
Kinsta beat Media Temple in 7 out of the 11 tests.
For the uptime monitoring tests, UptimeRobot and StatusCake were used. Kinsta had a perfect score on Uptime Robot, and nearly perfect on StatusCake. Media Temple did not reach 100% during either test:
Next up is the Blitz.io test, which tested 1 to 3,000 users over 60 seconds to assess the caching system’s performance on each site:
|Average Hits per Second||1,356||739|
|Average Response Time||84||249|
|Fastest Response||84 ms||189 ms|
|Shortest Response||86 ms||676 ms|
As you can see, Kinsta outperformed Media Temple by a wide margin. We had close to zero errors and no timeouts, along with faster response times.
The Load Storm tests scaled from 500 to 5,000 users over 30 minutes, with the peak at 10 minutes:
|Peak Response Time (ms)||9,991||15,334|
|Average Response Time (ms)||285||761|
As you can see, Kinsta had significantly fewer errors and a faster response time across the board. When it comes to WordPress performance, Kinsta is a superior alternative to Media Temple.
Kinsta is Developer-Friendly
Many of the Kinsta team members are developers, so we understand the importance of developer-friendly tools. That is why we create all of our products with developers in mind.
With Kinsta as your WordPress host, you’ll have access to features that help to enhance your workflow efficiency and production. These features provide you with full control and offer functionalities you wouldn’t necessarily get with Media Temple, including:
- Unrestricted access to your site’s critical files.
- Git, WP-CLI, and SSH access included, regardless of your plan.
- One-click staging environments on all plans.
- Five types of backups: free automatic/daily, hourly, manual, system generated, and downloadable. For its managed WordPress plans, Media Temple includes only daily backups with a 1GB size limit. Any other type of backup will need to be performed manually via FTP.
- Access to the Redis add-on for quicker database performance. Media Temple doesn’t have specific add-ons available for these purposes.
- The ability to load your site over reverse proxy. Media Temple only makes this available for VPS and dedicated plans. Its managed WordPress plans don’t support HTTP/2 connections at all.
- Kinsta lets you run a different PHP version for each live and staging site, and you can switch your PHP version with a single click. Although Media Temple enables its users to switch PHP versions via cPanel or Plesk, the process is not as simple or quick.
- Post and page revisions are enabled by default at Kinsta.
Another important difference we want to emphasize is in regards to SSL certificates. Unlike Kinsta, Media Temple does not include SSL certificates with most plans. For example, while it’s included with the Professional WordPress plans, that’s only true if you opt for yearly billing.
Media Temple offers standard SSL certificates, starting at $75 per year for a single domain. Multi-domain and Wildcard SSL certificates cannot be installed on managed WordPress plans.
In contrast, Kinsta offers free one-click SSL with our Let’s Encrypt integration on every plan. You also have the option to import your own certificate. You can enable HTTPS and import your SSL certificate directly from the MyKinsta dashboard.
Develop Locally with DevKinsta
For developers and agencies, Kinsta offers a simple to use (but powerful) local development tool called DevKinsta. With DevKinsta, you can launch WordPress sites with a full hosting stack and SSL support on your local computer with just a few clicks.
DevKinsta is fully integrated with MyKinsta and Kinsta’s hosting platform, which means you can develop locally and push updates directly to a staging environment on Kinsta! Media Temple doesn’t have an integration with a local WordPress development tool, which means there is no way to clone and push WordPress sites for their customers. If you’re a busy freelance or agency developer, DevKinsta’s advanced features and MyKinsta integration can be a huge time saver.
Free Performance Monitoring Tool
WordPress is a dynamic CMS, which means it’s constantly executing PHP code in the background. Depending on your theme and plugin configuration, it’s possible for your site to get bogged down with bloated and inefficient code.
That’s where APM (Application Performance Monitoring) tools can help. An APM monitors requests to your site, and tracks various metrics like external API requests, database queries, PHP execution time, and more. This information allows you to quickly debug and troubleshoot performance bottlenecks.
All Kinsta plans come with a free custom-built APM tool that can be easily accessed right in the MyKinsta dashboard. Kinsta APM provides you with key WordPress performance insights without the need for expensive third-party subscriptions to other APM services.
With Kinsta APM, you can debug the following and more:
- Slow WordPress plugins and themes.
- Long calls to external APIs and domains.
- Unoptimized MySQL database queries.
Media Temple plans do not come with a free APM tool, which makes it very difficult to quickly troubleshoot performance issues on your WordPress site.
Feature Comparison Overview
|Pricing||Plans start at $35/month||Plans start at $20/month|
|Money-Back Guarantee||30 days||30 days|
|Plan Tiers||10 (not including custom)||8 (2 for managed WordPress hosting)|
|Premium 24×7 Support||All plans||Varies by plan|
|Core Infrastructure (GCP)||Same across all plans (GCP)||Varies by plan (AWS)|
|SSH Access||All plans||Varies by plan|
|Global Data Centers||35 locations||1 location|
|Bandwidth Limits||No limits (within AUP)||Varies by plan|
|Container Technology||100% resource isolation on all plans||Not specified|
|Free Migrations||All plans||X|
|Staging Environment||All plans||All plans|
|PHP Versions||PHP 7.4, 8.0, 8.1||PHP 5.6, 7.2|
|Switch PHP Engine||One-click change in dashboard||Users can switch PHP versions in cPanel or Plesk|
|Free CDN||200+ PoPs (All regions)||Varies by plan (10 regions)|
|Free SSL Certificates||All plans||Varies by plan|
|Free DDoS Protection||✓||X|
|Uptime Monitoring||All plans||Premium add-on|
|Free APM Tool||Kinsta APM||Not specified|
|Resources Limits||Only limited by PHP workers||Varies by plan|
|Multisite Support||Pro plans and higher||X|
|Weekly Automatic MySQL Database Optimization||✓||X|
|Reverse Proxy Support||✓||VPS plans|
|New Relic (license required)||✓||Only on managed AWS plans|
|Multilingual Dashboard||English, Spanish, German, Dutch, Portuguese, Italian, French, Swedish, Danish, Japan||Not specified|
It’s also worth mentioning that Media Temple has a long list of restrictions and unsupported features in its Statement of Support. This includes installing third-party scripts, apps, and SSL certificates.
Another key aspect that distinguishes Kinsta from Media Temple is migrations. Kinsta’s team of experts handles the entire migration process for you, eliminating the need for you to deal with complex technology or risk losing critical data.
All Kinsta plans comes with one or more free premium migrations, which means you won’t have to worry about paying extra just to move to Kinsta!
To get started, the only thing you need to do is complete our site migration request form. From there, our team will contact you to schedule a time based on minimizing downtime and disruptions. Also, you can easily track the migration status via your MyKinsta dashboard.
Kinsta is the best WordPress host I’ve had so far. They are quick to help, easy to deal with, and really know their stuff. Plus their servers are super fast!
This is quite different from the migration experience you could expect as a Media Temple user. Media Temple doesn’t offer free migrations from other hosting providers.
If you want its team to perform a migration for you, you’ll need to pay a fee for the on-demand service add-on ($150 per site), or purchase an Advanced Support subscription plan ($199 per month).
At Kinsta, our WordPress experts will move your site(s) for you free of charge, saving you both time and money.
At Kinsta, it doesn’t matter what plan you have or what time of day it is. We always put our clients first. Our experts are available 24/7 and always treat every issue as a mission-critical priority.
We use the Intercom messaging platform to ensure that our communications are as convenient as possible. Plus, we always log discussions, so you’ll never find yourself repeating yourself to our agents.
Kinsta support isn’t just convenient, it’s also incredibly quick. In fact, our average initial ticket response time is under two minutes!
Our rapid responses aren’t subpar either. Kinsta’s WordPress experts always provide knowledgeable advice and guidance, which is why our customer support ratings are so high.
For the past two years, nearly all of our customers left a chat support session happy or satisfied:
Kinsta also offers multilingual customer support, including a knowledge base with resources available in 10 languages.
If you have problematic high traffic sites like us, you’ll love their migration service — they took care of everything and even identified some problem plugins that had been installed by former members of our team. I would have spent hours on the migration due to the size without their help.
Media Temple doesn’t offer the same level of support, at least not without a fee. It has tiered support options, with Advanced Support subscription services available for $199 per month.
Safe and Secure
At Kinsta, we believe that security features are a staple of reliable hosting services. That is why we take active and passive measures to keep your site safe and secure from malicious intruders.
All sites on Kinsta are automatically protected by Cloudflare’s firewall, which includes free DDoS protection. With our Cloudflare integration, you’ll get the benefits of enhanced security and performance without having to configure your own Cloudflare account.
Kinsta monitors your site every two minutes for uptime, and puts software-based restrictions in place. We’re able to detect DDoS attacks as they happen, and stop malicious code from invading our network.
Some of the advanced security features we offer with our plans include:
- Cloudflare firewall with DDoS protection
- Two-Factor Authentication support
- Isolated LXC containers
- Free one-click SSL certificates
- Automated backups with all plans
- Self-healing PHP
- Free security guarantee
- Only support for encrypted SFTP and SSH connections (no FTP)
We always act swiftly and communicate clearly. If we’re notified of a vulnerability on your site, we inform you ASAP to update you on the next steps. Also, in the event that something does happen to your site, we’ll fix it for free.
Unfortunately, this degree of high-level security isn’t included with all Media Temple plans. For example, to leverage a Web Application Firewall (WAF), you’ll need to buy a security pack add-on or purchase it as a standalone service. The same applies to disaster recovery, malware scanning and removal, and SSL certificates.
Kinsta Has a Global Presence
Kinsta has a massive global presence that includes 35 data centers (and counting) spanning five continents. Regardless of your plan, you can choose a different data center for each of your websites for free.
Kinsta’s current locations include:
- Changhua County, Taiwan
- Hong Kong
- Tokyo, Japan
- Osaka, Japan
- Seoul, South Korea
- Mumbai, India
- Delhi, India
- Jurong West, Singapore
- Jakarta, Indonesia
- Sydney, Australia
- Melbourne, Australia
- Warsaw, Poland
- Hamina, Finland
- Madrid, Spain
- St. Ghislain, Belgium
- London, United Kingdom
- Frankfurt, Germany
- Eemshaven, Netherlands
- Zurich, Switzerland
- Milan, Italy
- Paris, France
- Tel Aviv, Israel
- Montréal, Canada
- Toronto, Canada
- São Paulo, Brazil
- Santiago, Chile
- Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA
- Moncks Corner, South Carolina, USA
- Ashburn, Virginia, USA
- Columbus, Ohio, USA
- Dallas, Texas, USA
- The Dalles, Oregon, USA
- Los Angeles, California, USA
- Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
- Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
When it comes to data centers, Media Temple simply doesn’t compare. It only has servers located in California.
Turbocharging Your Content Delivery with Kinsta CDN
All Kinsta plans include a free Content Delivery Network (CDN) via our Cloudflare integration. This is a premium HTTP/3-enabled CDN, to deliver your content lightning-fast across the globe.
Our content delivery architecture was tailor-made for high throughput and low latency. You can enable Kinsta CDN directly from your MyKinsta dashboard, and your content will be delivered and cached from data centers in over 200 cities around the globe. This spans all major regions, including North America, Europe, Asia, Australia, South America, and Africa.
Media Temple does not include a global CDN with its plans. That feature is only available as a part of its Security Pack service ($19 per month for one site), or as a standalone feature (for an additional $10 or $30 per month fee).
Best Affiliate Program in the Industry
At Kinsta, we value our customers and always go above and beyond to exceed your expectations. Our satisfied clients are often eager to help us spread the word about our valuable products and services, which has helped us become one of the fastest-growing managed WordPress hosting providers.
Our appreciation has helped to fuel our affiliate program — one of the highest-paying affiliate programs in the hosting industry. Whether you’re a blogger or Fortune 500 company, you can partner with us to benefit from true profit sharing and join in our earnings.
Kinsta affiliates can earn between $50 and $500 (depending on the plan) for each referred signup. You will receive a 10% monthly recurring commission for the lifetime of the referred customers. Given Kinsta’s impressively low 4% churn rate, this is a great opportunity to earn a passive income.
Also, we won’t make you deal with any confusing or complicated third-party platforms. We created our own unique WordPress hosting affiliate dashboard to make things clean, simple, and straightforward.
Media Temple has an affiliate program. However, it is not as transparent about the payouts or earnings on its website, aside from claiming “unlimited earning potential”. It also runs this program through a third-party affiliate network.
Join Others Making the Switch to Kinsta
At Kinsta, we’re motivated by providing the fastest, latest, and most secure technology available. That’s why we’re always innovating and evolving.
For further proof, just check out our extensive list of feature updates! No other hosting provider releases new features, tools, and integrations with the speed and frequency that Kinsta does.
We are confident in our platform and service as a Media Temple alternative for WordPress hosting, and also want you to be completely satisfied as well. Therefore, we always offer a 30-day money-back guarantee and no long-term contracts.
If you’re ready to make the move away from Media Temple and switch to a better hosting provider, try out Kinsta risk-free for 30 days!