GreenGeeks is a web hosting provider known for its budget-friendly prices and for being an environmentally-responsible company. If you look for green hosting solutions, GreenGeeks is one of the first names you’ll find.
Inexpensive web hosts like this can look attractive at first glance, but in most cases, those low prices mean you’re sharing resources with other users. Kinsta, on the other hand, offers a fully-managed hosting solution powered by Google Cloud.
If you use Kinsta, you don’t have to share resources with other users. Moreover, our WordPress experts optimize each server to deliver the best possible performance for your website. That’s what a truly managed solution means.
Throughout the rest of this page, we’ll talk about each of the aspects that distinguishes Kinsta from GreenGeeks and other shared hosting solutions.
How Kinsta Compares to GreenGeeks Hosting in a Nutshell
When comparing two such different web hosts, it’s important to focus on the services that are most similar between Kinsta and GreenGeeks.
GreenGeeks offers WordPress managed plans, regular shared hosting, and Virtual Private Server (VPS) options. This web host’s WordPress plans are also hosted on shared servers, which is one of the reasons they’re so affordable.
Since Kinsta is a WordPress-specific solution, we’re going to focus on the GreenGeek plans designed for that Content Management System. Simply put, regular managed hosting can’t compete in terms of performance when compared to cloud hosting powered by Google’s powerful infrastructure.
We are also proud to be the highest-rated managed WordPress host on G2, the world’s leading software review and comparison site:
#1 WordPress Hosting Provider by G2
As your website grows, your hosting solution needs to scale with it. Otherwise, you’ll likely experience constant errors on your website and slow performance. That is a recipe for a poor user experience.
Since we’ve partnered with Google Cloud, we can provide you with all the resources you need to scale your website up to its full potential. Even our entry-level plans provide much better performance than you’d get with most other managed hosting options.
More importantly, at Kinsta we have system administrators working behind the scenes to take care of our servers. That means you never have to worry about server configuration or maintenance, and you can focus all your energies on your projects.
Some additional differences between Kinsta vs. GreenGeeks include:
- Kinsta is a leading managed WordPress hosting provider, which offers all-in-one solutions for running and managing your WordPress site.
- Kinsta’s feature-packed platform is both developer- and beginner-friendly. GreenGeeks also offers several features for WordPress developers, but it’s more geared towards casual projects.
- Kinsta’s plans include everything needed to maximize site speed, performance, and security. With GreenGeeks, WordPress optimization falls largely on your shoulders.
- Kinsta has 24 data centers across the globe, while GreenGeeks has five.
- All of our plans include a free Content Delivery Network (CDN) and free premium DNS. GreenGeeks offers a free CDN, but not premium DNS options.
- Kinsta support, composed of WordPress experts and Linux engineers, is available 24/7 for every customer. GreenGeeks also offers 24/7 support.
- Kinsta monitors your website to ensure that it’s reachable every two minutes, up to 720 times a day.
- With Kinsta, you get multiple types of backups for all of your projects, including automatic/daily, hourly, manual, and system-generated options.
- Kinsta provides free, human-performed migrations with all of our plans. GreenGeeks also offers free website migration.
- Kinsta offers free one-click Let’s Encrypt SSL certificates. GreenGeeks also offers free SSL certificates on all its plans.
- Kinsta offers weekly database optimizations, to ensure that your website performance never suffers even as it grows.
- With Kinsta, you get access to a free APM tool that helps you identify performance issues.
- All Kinsta plans come with our custom-built, WordPress-specific MyKinsta dashboard with one-click WordPress installation. GreenGeeks provides a custom dashboard, but it’s not designed specifically for WordPress users.
- Staging environments are available on all Kinsta plans. GreenGeeks also offers staging functionality.
- A free Cloudflare integration with a secure firewall and DDoS protection.
- Kinsta offers the best-paying affiliate program in the business, using a custom dashboard that helps you monitor your earnings.
- Kinsta offers a free local WordPress development tool called DevKinsta, even to non-customers. If you’re a customer, you can use it to copy live websites and push them to staging.
Try it out for yourself with our free MyKinsta dashboard demo! Register your account to see the user-friendly interface and explore our various tools.
Kinsta is Built for Performance and Scalability
Kinsta’s unique, powerful solution doesn’t fit into any of the categories of traditional hosting, such as shared, VPS, or dedicated plans. Our infrastructure was custom built to deliver unparalleled performance and support.
Although GreenGeeks offers managed hosting, its infrastructure is completely different from Kinsta’s. With Kinsta, you get a full breakdown of what each plan offers in terms of performance, how much traffic it can handle, how much storage you get, and more.
That’s just one of the advantages of using a managed hosting solution. The real value of Kinsta doesn’t lie only in its performance, but in all the work our team does behind the scenes to make sure your website runs in top shape, such as:
- Setting up proper website caching
- Taking care of backups
- Securing your server and WordPress sites
- Dealing with DDoS attacks
- Constantly checking for security threats and vulnerabilities
- Setting up a CDN
- Implementing firewall solutions
- Monitoring websites
- Setting up and renewing SSL certificates
- Troubleshooting day-to-day issues
- Keeping all software on the server up to date
Starting at just $30 per month, Kinsta plans include all of these technical elements and more (see below). For each site hosted on our platform, we use LXD-managed hosts and LXC software containers. This means that every site has its own isolated container equipped with all the necessary resources, including MySQL, PHP, Linux, and Nginx.
Kinsta’s auto-scaling infrastructure also enables you to upgrade or downgrade with ease. Plus, we have custom-compiled Linux packages and Nginx rulesets that enable us to maximize the performance of your WordPress sites.
With Kinsta, configuration is never a concern. You can launch a new WordPress site quickly and easily directly from your MyKinsta dashboard, and choose from any of our 24 global data centers.
Kinsta eliminates the need for caching plugins or add-ons, because we use different types of caching systems to reduce server load and accelerate response times. These include Bytecode, Query, Page, and CDN cache. We also support Object cache if you need it.
Since we understand that uptime is a critical priority, we offer compute-optimized C2 Google Cloud machines that enable our customers to see major improvements in average response times. In fact, depending on the type of site you’re running, simply switching to Kinsta could result in an immediate speed improvement of up to 300%!
I tried several hosting services here in Brazil. But none of them has the speed, reliability, and fantastic technical support that Kinsta offers. The automatic daily backup of Kinsta, the SSL certificate that’s super easy to configure, and the availability of CDN and cache are definitely facilities that I really appreciated.
Kinsta managed WordPress hosting eliminates the need for you to learn and assume the role of a sysadmin. We have experienced technicians ready to handle everything for you. We provide the powerful platform, innovative technology, and robust solutions and tools needed to maximize your site’s performance.
Although GreenGeeks offers a few managed WordPress features, you’re not getting the same type of service as with Kinsta. Our platform is designed from the ground up for WordPress users and your needs. Using Kinsta managed hosting, you’ll never have to worry about troubleshooting or performance issues.
Expert Support for WordPress
Troubleshooting a website is never fun, but it comes with the territory. If you’re an experienced WordPress developer, then you’re probably capable of solving most errors on your own.
The real question is whether it’s worth it to spend your time on troubleshooting and be your own sysadmin. Every hour that you’re hunting for the cause of a bug is time that you could spend working on your projects and clients.
With Kinsta, you can save so much time that might otherwise be spent scouring Google for answers, or risking the loss of critical data by troubleshooting on your own. How? Kinsta customers are our top priority.
We treat every customer and website as mission-critical, which is why we don’t have tiered support. We offer 24/7 premium support for each of our plans. Our WordPress experts and Linux engineers are ready to provide quick, concise answers to your questions and concerns.
In addition to multilingual support and resources that are available in over 10 languages, we also have an initial ticket response time of under two minutes. If you don’t believe us, just ask some of our clients!
For the past two years, more than 97 percent of our customers closed a chat support session happy or satisfied with the support they received:
The customer service and live chat are great, also the dashboard manager is really helpful. They make daily backups and allow you 5 manual backups that are really helpful. I also love the staging environment to implement new features in the website.
To make our customer support as quick and convenient as possible, we use the Intercom customer messaging platform. Plus, all communications are logged, meaning you won’t ever need to repeat yourself to multiple support agents.
Although GreenGeeks also offers 24/7 support, you need to submit tickets for every issue. If you’re out of luck, you might spend a while waiting for a response, during which time your website might be out of order.
MyKinsta: A Dashboard That’s Better Than the Competition
GreenGeeks offers you access to a classic cPanel setup. It gets the work done, but it’s not optimized for WordPress use. Moreover, it makes it harder to access many of the more developer-friendly features that GreenGeeks offers.
At Kinsta, our mission is to make managing your WordPress site as simple and straightforward as possible. This is why we custom-built our own user portal, MyKinsta, specifically for WordPress site management:
Let’s take a look at some of the powerful features that make our MyKinsta dashboard so useful:
- One-click staging environments and an option to restore backups to production or staging.
- Premium Amazon Route 53 DNS, to manage your DNS records directly in the dashboard.
- Detailed analytics and insights, including bandwidth and visitor data, performance analysis data, CDN usage and insights, and cache HIT and MISS ratio.
- One-click CDN setup.
- A search and replace tool to make performing bulk updates easy.
- One-click PHP version switching, and the option to restart PHP when needed.
- A Kinsta APM tool for identifying performance issues.
- Integration with DevKinsta for better local development.
- A dashboard tool to purge the site cache.
- Simple redirect management.
- The ability to quickly and easily block IP addresses via the IP Deny tool.
- New Relic integration.
- A built-in Cloudflare integration with optimized settings to secure and boost the performance of your site without the need for a separate Cloudflare subscription.
- A WordPress debugging tool.
- Simple password protection for your environment, and the option to strengthen login security by adding your SSH keys to the dashboard.
- A Multilingual dashboard that’s available in 10 languages: English, Italian, Spanish, French, German, Portuguese, Japanese, Swedish, Danish, and Dutch.
The dashboard is superb and very intuitive. CDN works well. Hosting TTFB times are insanely fast. I also find great consistency with pagespeed scores as well, indicating a very stable platform.
There’s no need to simply take our word for it, though. You can try it out for yourself with our free MyKinsta demo! All you have to do is register for an account, and then you can check out the user-friendly interface and explore the various tools to learn for yourself what makes MyKinsta unlike the others!
At Kinsta, we value our customers’ feedback and are always looking for opportunities to improve. We regularly incorporate the requests and feedback we receive to enhance our offerings. We’re always innovating and exploring new ways to make your website and hosting experience better!
Kinsta is Developer-Friendly
GreenGeeks’ managed WordPress hosting plans offer several developer-friendly features. However, since you’re stuck using cPanel, accessing some of them is not as intuitive and fast as it could be.
Kinsta tools are built with developers in mind. Many of our team members are developers and engineers themselves, so we understand what it means to create a ‘developer-friendly’ product. This is exactly what we did with our MyKinsta dashboard.
As your managed WordPress host, Kinsta provides you with an expansive collection of tools and features to help streamline your workflow efficiency. Some of the developer-friendly features you’ll have access to at Kinsta include:
- One-click staging environments for all plans. GreenGeeks also offers staging functionality.
- Git, WP-CLI, and SSH access included, regardless of your plan. GreenGeeks includes all of these features.
- Five different types of backups available: automatic/daily, optional hourly, manual, system generated, and downloadable. GreenGeeks offers nightly backups only.
- A Redis add-on for quicker database performance.
- The option to load your site over reverse proxy.
- Unrestricted access to your site’s critical files.
- The ability to use custom setups such as Bedrock and Trellis.
- A Kinsta APM tool for identifying performance issues
- Integration with DevKinsta for better local development
- An option to run a different version of PHP for each live and staging site, and the ability to switch your PHP version with one click.
- Default enabled post and page revisions.
- The ability to restore backups to staging as well as production. Kinsta offers a one-click backup restoration feature directly in the MyKinsta dashboard. Plus, we don’t include backups as a part of your total disk space usage.
Staging environments are critical for testing plugins, themes, and core updates to ensure they’re compatible with your website and won’t cause anything to break. They’re also an important feature for debugging code and developing projects before pushing them live.
That’s why we offer one-click staging with every WordPress site hosted at Kinsta. You can create a new staging environment directly from your MyKinsta dashboard. You can push changes live with a single click, as well as restore backups to a production or staging site.
It doesn’t get any easier than that. Plus, as with backups, your staging sites aren’t included in your total disk space usage (only your live sites are).
Kinsta also offers free one-click SSL with our Let’s Encrypt integration on every plan, as well as the option to install your own. In addition, you can quickly enable HTTPS and import your SSL certificate directly in the MyKinsta dashboard:
Although GreenGeeks also offers free Let’s Encrypt SSL certificates, the setup process requires you to contact support to set them up instead of enabling you to do so directly.
Web Performance Benchmarks
Each year, Review Signal conducts a performance test and review for the top hosting companies in the industry. For the past five years, Kinsta has scored top-tier status. Although GreenGeeks also participates in Review Signal tests, the numbers show that Kinsta offers much better performance.
More importantly, that performance scales alongside your website. Kinsta’s auto-scaling infrastructure makes it so that server resources can be easily scaled up or down as needed. We use Google’s latest Compute-Optimized (C2) virtual machines, and automatically allocate hardware resources, including CPU and RAM, to each site container as they’re needed.
With GreenGeeks, there’s room for growth. However, the resources you have access to and the underlying infrastructure isn’t as clear.
GreenGeeks managed WordPress plans start at $2.49 per month for your first cycle. On the other hand, Kinsta plans start at just $30 per month, and include all of the speed and performance optimization tools you need. You’ll also have the security and support features to take your site to the next level.
Two services were used to perform uptime tests: UptimeRobot and StatusCake. Kinsta got a perfect score on both tests, while GreenGeeks Hosting did not:
Next up is the Load Impact test, which was used to assess the caching system’s performance on each site:
|Data Transferred (GB)||33.49||15.76|
|Peak Average Load Time (seconds)||608||867|
|Peak Average Bandwidth (Mbps)||571||268|
|Peak Average Requests/Sec||1,220||587|
Even with more requests and data transferred, Kinsta edged out GreenGeeks Hosting for average loading time. Kinsta also had zero errors while serving a lot more requests.
Safe and Secure
GreenGeeks regularly monitors its websites for malware, as well as threats and vulnerabilities. However, it’s not upfront about how that monitoring works.
At Kinsta, we take both active and passive measures to safeguard your site, including:
- Monitoring your sites every two minutes for uptime, 720 times daily
- Implementing strict software-based restrictions
- Free DDoS protection, and stopping malicious code from entering our network.
- Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) support
- IP Geolocation blocking
- A secure firewall powered by Cloudflare
- Automated backups for all plans
- Isolated LXC containers
- Self-healing PHP
- Only support for encrypted SFTP and SSH connections (no FTP)
Although GreenGeeks also offers backup functionality, you’re limited to a single nightly backup. For some websites, that won’t be enough if you want to cover all your bases. That means you’ll need to schedule backups manually.
All sites on Kinsta are automatically protected by Cloudflare’s firewall, which includes free DDoS protection. With our Cloudflare integration, you’ll get the benefits of enhanced security and performance without having to configure your own Cloudflare account. GreenGeeks offers basic Cloudflare support through CPanel, but their integration requires a separate Cloudflare account.
Kinsta provides premium uptime monitoring for all of your WordPress sites via our in-house developed monitoring system.. The status of the sites hosted on our platform are checked every two minutes.
On the off-chance that something were to happen to your site, we offer a free 100% hack-fix guarantee. If we are notified of an issue with your site, we’ll also contact you immediately.
Kinsta Has a Global Presence
Another advantage of using Kinsta as your managed WordPress host is our massive global footprint. Our 25 data centers (and counting) span five continents, making it easy for you to pick a different one for each of your websites. Plus, there are no hidden fees or extra charges!
Our data center locations include:
- Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA
- London, UK
- Sydney, Australia
- St. Ghislain, Belgium
- Changhua County, Taiwan
- Mumbai, India
- The Dalles, Oregon, USA
- Ashburn, Virginia, USA
- Moncks Corner, South Carolina, USA
- São Paulo, Brazil
- Seoul, South Korea.
- Salt Lake City, USA.
- Frankfurt, Germany
- Jurong West, Singapore
- Tokyo, Japan
- Montréal, Canada
- Eemshaven, Netherlands
- Hamina, Finland
- Los Angeles, California, USA
- Hong Kong
- Zürich, Switzerland
- Osaka, Japan
- Las Vegas, USA
- Jakarta, Indonesia
GreenGeeks has data centers in five locations around the globe, including the USA, Canada, and the Netherlands.
Free WordPress Migrations
Whether you want to move one site or 100, our hassle-free migrations make doing so quick and easy. We handle the entire migration process for you, so you won’t have to deal with complex technology or risk losing critical data. Each Kinsta plan includes at least one free basic website migration!
To get started, simply complete our site migration request form, and a member from our team will reach out to schedule a time for the migration. Then you can track the migration status directly from your MyKinsta dashboard.
My overall experience has been extremely impressive thus far since moving my clients over a couple of months ago. Super support and excellent performance. I was also blown away at the speed and efficiency of the migration process of over 30 sites. All for free.
If you need to migrate your website, GreenGeeks lets you contact one of its migration specialists to help you through the process at no cost.
Optimized for WooCommerce and Easy Digital Downloads
We appreciate that ecommerce is vital for many businesses, and that these websites come with particularly challenging and complicated demands. This is why Kinsta is optimized for ecommerce stores.
We take care of caching for you at the server level to deliver fast page loading times. Plus, our solution is configured to work out of the box for WordPress, WooCommerce, and Easy Digital Download sites.
To optimize the speed and performance of your online store, we offer automatic purging of cache and archive pages, as well as:
- Excluding ‘My Account’, checkout, cart, and other pages that shouldn’t be cached.
- Ensuring a smooth checkout process by automatically bypassing the cache for users when “woocommerce_items_in_cart” or “edit_items_in_cart” are detected.
- Putting specific rules in place to allow EDD and WooCommerce functionality during server-level page caching.
Although GreenGeeks offers WordPress-optimized solutions, none of its plans are built with ecommerce in mind. While it’s not impossible to set up your own online store, you’ll need to optimize every aspect of it manually.
Develop Locally with DevKinsta
For developers and agencies, Kinsta offers a simple to use (but powerful) local development tool called DevKinsta. With DevKinsta, you can launch WordPress sites with a full hosting stack and SSL support on your local computer with just a few clicks.
DevKinsta is fully integrated with MyKinsta and Kinsta’s hosting platform, which means you can develop locally and push updates directly to a staging environment on Kinsta! GreenGeeks doesn’t have an integration with a local WordPress development tool, which means there is no way to clone and push WordPress sites for GreenGeeks customers. If you’re a busy freelance or agency developer, DevKinsta’s advanced features and MyKinsta integration can be a huge time saver.
Free Performance Monitoring Tool
WordPress is a dynamic CMS, which means it’s constantly executing PHP code in the background. Depending on your theme and plugin configuration, it’s possible for your site to get bogged down with bloated and inefficient code.
That’s where APM (Application Performance Monitoring) tools can help. An APM monitors requests to your site, and tracks various metrics like external API requests, database queries, PHP execution time, and more. This information allows you to quickly debug and troubleshoot performance bottlenecks.
All Kinsta plans come with a free custom-built APM tool that can be easily accessed right in the MyKinsta dashboard. Kinsta APM provides you with key WordPress performance insights without the need for expensive third-party subscriptions to New Relic and other APM services.
With Kinsta APM, you can debug the following and more:
- Slow WordPress plugins and themes.
- Long calls to external APIs and domains.
- Unoptimized MySQL database queries.
GreenGeeks Hosting plans do not come with a free APM tool, which makes it very difficult to quickly troubleshoot performance issues on your WordPress site. Some of their plans support New Relic APM, but that requires a separate New Relic subscription which starts at $99/month.
Turbocharging Your Content Delivery with Kinsta CDN
We’ve partnered with KeyCDN, a premium HTTP/2 and IPv6-enabled Content Delivery Network (CDN). Our content delivery architecture is built specifically for high throughput and low latency, and your content will be delivered and cached from our CDN’s 34 POPs across the globe. Our locations span all major regions, including Asia, North America, Europe, Australia, South America, and Africa!
Feature Comparison Overview
Now that we’ve made it this far, let’s take a look at some of the biggest differences between Kinsta vs GreenGeeks:
|Pricing||Plans start at $30/month||Plans start at $2.49/month with special pricing|
|Money-Back Guarantee||30 days on all plans||30 days on all plans|
|Premium 24×7 Support||All plans||All plans|
|Core Infrastructure||Same across all plans (GCP)||Private servers|
|SSH Access||All plans||All plans|
|Global Data Centers||25 locations||5|
|Bandwidth Limits||No limits (within AUP)||No limits (within AUP)|
|Container Technology||100% resource isolation on all plans||100% resource isolation on all plans|
|Free Migrations||All plans||All plans|
|Staging Environment||All plans||All plans|
|PHP Versions||PHP 7.3, 7.4, 8.0||PHP 7|
|Switch PHP Engine||One-click change in dashboard||Varies by plan|
|Free Cloudflare Integration||✓||Not specified|
|Free CDN||34 (All regions)||Integrates with Cloudflare (requires setup)|
|Free Premium DNS||Amazon Route53||X|
|Free SSL Certificates||All plans||Needs to be requested via support channels|
|Free DDoS Protection||✓||X|
|Uptime Monitoring||All plans||X|
|Resource Limits||Only limited by PHP workers||Not specified|
|Multisite Support||Pro plans and higher||✓|
|Free APM Tool||Kinsta APM||X|
|IP Geolocation||✓||Not specified|
|Reverse Proxy Support||✓||Not specified|
|Redis Add-on||✓||Not specified|
|New Relic APM Support||✓||X|
|Multilingual Dashboard||English, Spanish, German, Dutch, Portuguese, Italian, French, Swedish, Danish, Japan||Not specified|
Best Affiliate Program in the Industry
Kinsta’s commitment to providing the best performance and user experience is a key reason we’re one of the fastest-growing web hosts in the industry.
On top of our service, we also offer one of the highest-paying affiliate programs in the industry. As a Kinsta affiliate partner, you can earn as much as $500 (depending on the plan) for every signup referred to us. In addition, for the lifetime of the customers referred, you’ll receive a 10% monthly recurring commission.
Another benefit of our affiliate program is that we use a custom-built dashboard, so you won’t ever have to deal with confusing third-party platforms. Everything is accessible and straightforward.
GreenGeeks also offers an affiliate program, which pays up to $100 per signup depending on how many users you refer per month.
Join Others Making the Switch to Kinsta
At Kinsta, our mission is to offer the fastest, latest technology possible. We’re always evolving and adapting to utilize the most innovative solutions available. When you check out our many feature updates, you can see that no other hosting provider releases the amount of new features, tools, and integrations at the same rate and frequency.
We are proud of our solutions, and want you to be completely satisfied with your hosting. If you’re ready to make the move away from GreenGeeks and switch to a premium managed hosting provider, try out Kinsta risk-free for 30 days!