InMotion Hosting is a web host that offers shared, WordPress, VPS, reseller, and dedicated plans. It has a lot going on, which may not be ideal when you’re looking for a provider that is specifically optimized for WordPress.
With InMotion WordPress hosting, resources are on a shared network, which often translates to slower and potentially less secure websites. Although it advertises incredibly low prices, those plans are limiting, misleading, and designed to lock you into a long-term contract.
At Kinsta, we hear every day from unhappy customers looking for a better InMotion Hosting alternative, who are curious to learn more about what makes Kinsta unique. We’re excited to answer that here. We’ll explore what makes Kinsta so powerful and distinct, and detail the major benefits we have to offer as your managed WordPress host!
How Kinsta Compares to InMotion Hosting in a Nutshell
Before we take a deep dive into the specifics of Kinsta vs InMotion Hosting, we want to give you a brief overview of the biggest differences between the two hosting platforms.
Kinsta is the highest-rated managed WordPress host on G2, the world’s leading software review and comparison site:
#1 WordPress Hosting Provider by G2
Kinsta is powered exclusively by the Google Cloud Platform and Google’s premium-tier network, which enables us to maximize the speed, performance, and security of every website hosted with us.
Let’s take a look at some of the other major differences between Kinsta vs InMotion Hosting:
- Kinsta is a WordPress-specific host, meaning that we work strictly with WordPress, and our support engineers are all WordPress experts. Unlike InMotion, we don’t offer shared hosting.
- Kinsta utilizes a superior infrastructure that has positioned us as the fastest WordPress host for 5 years in a row (based on Review Signal benchmarks). This includes compute-optimized C2 Google Cloud machines, LXD managed hosts, and orchestrated LXC software containers for each site. With InMotion plans, all resources are on shared servers, which is why that provider doesn’t participate in web performance benchmark reviews.
- All Kinsta plans include MariaDB, a superior database platform. InMotion only offers this with its higher-cost VPS plans. Also, unlike InMotion, we also include automatic weekly database MySQL optimization.
- Kinsta offers clear, transparent pricing and plans that make it easy to accommodate all of our customers’ needs. InMotion advertises ‘unlimited bandwidth’ for its plans, when in reality it will limit how much you can use it (check out the fine print).
- Kinsta’s auto-scaling infrastructure makes it easy to upgrade or downgrade with ease. We monitor sites 24/7, and if we determine you may need more PHP workers or disk space, we’ll reach out to you to discuss the appropriate plan of action. InMotion suspends accounts for resource abuse, taking your business offline.
- Kinsta plans and pricing are affordable, easy to understand, and don’t require long-term contracts. InMotion’s plan tiers can be confusing, and its pricing is not entirely transparent or straightforward. For example, the $2.49 per month entry-level plan it advertises requires a three-year commitment.
- Kinsta has a massive global presence with 24 data centers spanning five continents. InMotion only has two locations, both of which are located in the U.S.
- On every plan, Kinsta offers six different types of backups (automatic/daily, optional hourly, manual, system generated, downloadable, and automatic offsite backups to your Amazon S3 or Google Cloud storage). InMotion doesn’t offer any automated or built-in backup tools. The closest thing is a paid Backup Manager plugin, which costs $2 per month and includes extra charges for additional resources over 10 GB.
- Kinsta uses a custom-built MyKinsta dashboard, which is designed specifically for WordPress site management. InMotion uses the generic cPanel, which isn’t nearly as user-friendly, powerful, or tailored for WordPress.
- Kinsta offers a variety of one-click tools and developer-friendly features directly in the MyKinsta dashboard, including an IP Deny tool, IonCube enabler, one-click WordPress debugging, and more. We also offer SSH access, New Relic, and reverse proxy support with every plan.
- In addition to taking both active and passive security measures, including Google Cloud Firewall, Kinsta monitors each site hosted on our platform every two minutes for uptime. That’s 720 times every day. InMotion’s 99.99% uptime guarantee only applies to Pro plans, and your physical uptime check can only be performed once every thirty days.
- All plans at Kinsta include a free Content Delivery Network (CDN) and free premium DNS.
- Kinsta plans include a handy one-click staging feature. You can easily push sites live or restore backups to staging directly from the MyKinsta dashboard. InMotion, on the other hand, limits you to using the BoldGrid plugin or Softaculous app in cPanel. The WP-1000s plan also limits you to one staging site.
- Kinsta offers a free, one-click SSL with every plan. With InMotion Hosting plans, you have to add and configure the SSL certificate yourself.
- Kinsta always supports the latest version of PHP available, including 7.4. InMotion currently only supports up to PHP 7.3.
- Kinsta has a superior support team made up of WordPress experts. Our premium, multilingual support is available 24/7, regardless of your plan. InMotion only offers U.S.-based support, and there’s no guarantee that you’ll be speaking with someone who specializes specifically in WordPress.
- Kinsta uses a unique caching system that includes different types of server-level caching designed for the specific type of WordPress site you run. Our platform is optimized for WooCommerce and online stores. InMotion’s infrastructure and WordPress hosting plans are not built for complex or large deployments.
- Kinsta offers a 30-day money-back guarantee on all plans. InMotion’s refund policy varies by plan.
Kinsta is Built for Performance and Scalability
As a website owner, it’s important to have the comfort and confidence in knowing that your site is equipped to deliver fast pages and handle sudden surges in traffic. When faced with unexpected traffic, you don’t want to have to worry about downtime.
With Kinsta, this is never an issue. Unlike InMotion Hosting, we don’t fall into traditional hosting categories such as shared, VPS, and/or dedicated. Our unique platform and infrastructure were built to deliver unmatched speed, security, and performance on all sites we host.
Kinsta is the first managed WordPress host to be powered exclusively by the Google Cloud Platform. We use LXD-managed hosts and orchestrated LXC software containers for every site hosted with us. This isolated container technology includes all of the software resources necessary for running your sites, such as Linux, Nginx, MySQL, and PHP.
Kinsta also includes automatic weekly MySQL database optimizations and self-healing PHP with every plan, making sure your sites are always fine-tuned for performance.
With InMotion Hosting, even the WordPress plans share resources in the background. Kinsta doesn’t offer shared hosting, so privacy is never a concern. Your MySQL databases are hosted at localhost rather than an overloaded remote server, resulting in faster queries and quicker loading times.
We also have an auto-scaling infrastructure that makes it easy to upgrade or downgrade as needed. With InMotion Hosting, scalable, dedicated resources are only available on higher-priced VPS and dedicated plans.
At Kinsta, stability and uptime are constants. Our compute-optimized C2 machines offer significant improvements in average response times. In fact, depending on the type of site you have, moving to Kinsta can help you see a speed improvement between 20 and 300%!
You simply can’t get the same speed and performance with shared hosting providers such as InMotion Hosting. In fact, check out the graph below to see how one client saw a notable uptick in loading times after moving to InMotion from Kinsta:
Another thing that makes Kinsta superior to other hosts is our unique caching system. We eliminate the need to use plugins or tools, such as InMotion’s Cache Manager tool. In fact, Kinsta takes care of caching for you by automatically implementing multiple types of cache at the server-level, including Bytecode, Object, Page, and CDN cache.
Regardless of your plan, we let you choose from any of our 24 data centers worldwide to ensure low latency for each of your sites. This is much different than what you get with InMotion Hosting. Although it lets you pick your data center, you only have two options, both of which are in the U.S. (Washington D.C. and California).
I’ve tried multiple services including GoDaddy, Rackspace, InMotion Hosting, WP Engine, HostGator and homebrew solutions. Hands down, no questions or second thoughts, Kinsta is the best. Best support, Best performance.
MyKinsta: A Dashboard That’s Better Than the Competition
As with the majority of hosting providers, InMotion Hosting uses the generic and outdated cPanel. Kinsta isn’t like every other host. We know our clients deserve a better user portal, which is why we built our own.
The MyKinsta dashboard is built with the sole purpose of making WordPress site management as simple as possible:
Considering that it’s designed specifically for WordPress, it includes a plethora of tools and one-click features and tools that you don’t necessarily get with cPanel. Some of the unique features of the MyKinsta dashboard include:
- Quick phpMyAdmin access.
- Premium Amazon Route 53 DNS included, so you can manage your DNS records directly in the dashboard. On the InMotion website, there’s no mention of premium DNS for shared and WordPress plans.
- One-click CDN integration. InMotion offers a free CDN, but you have to rely on third-party plugins such as Cloudflare.
- Detailed insights and analytics, including bandwidth and visitor data, performance analysis data, CDN usage and insights, and cache HIT and MISS ratio.
- A search and replace tool to perform bulk updates.
- A debugging tool for quickly resolving errors.
- The ability to toggle between PHP versions with a single click, and restart PHP when needed. With InMotion plans, you need to go through cPanel, which requires more steps and increases your chances of making mistakes.
- IonCube Loader enabler for decoding and running protected PHP scripts.
- A one-click staging feature directly in the MyKinsta dashboard that lets you create a staging site in seconds. You can easily push staging sites live, as well as restore backups to staging. We don’t count staging sites toward your total disk space usage. InMotion Hosting offers a limited amount of staging environments through the Softaculous software in cPanel, with no option to restore backups to staging.
- New Relic integration for taking a deep dive into performance issues on your site. New Relic isn’t supported by shared hosting plans such as InMotion.
- The option to purge site cache within the dashboard.
- Simple password protection for your environment, and the option to heighten login security by adding your SSH keys to the dashboard.
- Quick and easy IP address blocking via an IP Deny tool.
- A one-click Let’s Encrypt feature for free SSL certificates, as well as the option to import your own. InMotion Hosting offers free AutoSSL certificates, but you have to manually add and configure them yourself.
- A multilingual dashboard available in ten languages: English, Spanish, Italian, German, French, Japanese, Swedish, Portuguese, Danish, and Dutch.
We don’t just want you to take our word for it, though. We’re confident in our dashboard and encourage you to try it for yourself. Simply create a free account, and explore the interface and user-friendly tools to see for yourself what makes the MyKinsta dashboard so superior!
We value our clients’ feedback, which is why many of MyKinsta’s features have come directly from their suggestions. We actively listen to all requests. If there’s something that can help make everyone’s life easier and more productive, we’re all ears.
Optimized for WooCommerce and Easy Digital Downloads
E-commerce sites can be particularly challenging, and come with a unique set of challenges that can be complicated to effectively manage. Therefore, if you’re looking for a hosting provider to optimize the performance of your online store, InMotion isn’t it.
Even on its website, InMotion admits that its WordPress hosting plans aren’t best for small to medium e-commerce websites, nor are they ideal for large or complex deployments. On the other hand, the Kinsta platform is optimized for e-commerce sites, and can help boost the speed and performance of your WooCommerce or your Easy Digital Downloads store.
Some of the ways we do this include:
- Excluding pages that shouldn’t be cached, such as ‘My Account’, Checkout, and cart pages.
- Providing server-level page caching with specific rules to allow EDD and WooCommerce functionality.
- Automatically bypassing the cache for users when edit_items_in_cart or woocommerce_items_in_cart cookie are detected, to ensure a smooth and seamless checkout process.
Speed is a critical priority for online storefronts. As one of the fastest WordPress hosts, this isn’t something you’ll have to worry about when you use us as your managed hosting provider.
Every year, Review Signal conducts a web performance testing review on some of the most popular hosts in the industry. For the past five years, Kinsta has achieved “top tier” performance!
InMotion is a popular web host. However, considering that its WordPress hosting infrastructure uses shared networks and resources that can lead to slow sites, it makes sense that it doesn’t participate in these benchmark reviews.
Kinsta is Developer-Friendly
At Kinsta, many of our team members are developers too. This is why everything we create, from the MyKinsta dashboard to our products and tools, is built with developers in mind. Our platform can help you enhance your productivity and workflow efficiency.
When you use Kinsta as your managed WordPress host, you’ll have access to a wide variety of developer-friendly features and tools that you wouldn’t necessarily get with a host like InMotion. Some of them include:
- Unrestricted access to your site’s critical files regardless of your plan, including access to Git, WP-CLI, and SSH. InMotion also includes standard SSH access on all plans.
- Free one-click staging environments that you can quickly create through your MyKinsta dashboard. InMotion Hosting limits how many staging environments you can have. For example, the entry-level WordPress plan limits you to one website and one staging site.
- Six types of backups: free automatic/daily, optional hourly, manual, system generated, downloadable, and automatic offsite backups to your Amazon S3 or Google Cloud storage. InMotion only offers automated backups as a premium add-on called Backup Manager. While one-click restore is available, you cannot restore a production backup to a staging website.
- Faster search with the Elasticsearch add-on, as well as quicker database performance through the Redis add-on. InMotion Hosting only offers support for Redis and Elasticsearch on VPS and dedicated plans.
- The ability to load your site over reverse proxy on all plans. This isn’t available on the entry-level InMotion plans.
- Kinsta lets you run a different version of PHP for every live and staging site, as well as switch your PHP version with the one-click feature directly from your MyKinsta dashboard. To change your PHP version with an InMotion hosting plan, you have to go through the cPanel MultiPHP Manager tool, which isn’t as easy.
- Post and page revisions enabled by default.
At Kinsta, we also offer free one-click SSL with our Let’s Encrypt integration on every plan. Although InMotion plans include a free AutoSSL certificate, adding it to your site takes more time and effort.
Feature Comparison Overview
At this point, let’s take a moment to review some of the key differences between Kinsta and InMotion Hosting:
|Pricing||Plans start at $30/month||Plans start at $2.49/mo|
(with a 3-year commitment)
|Money-Back Guarantee||30 days on all plans||30 days (Lite plans),|
90 days (Power and Pro plans with yearly commitment)
|Plan Tiers||10 (not including custom)||8 (shared and WordPress)|
|Premium 24×7 Support||All plans||All plans|
|Core Infrastructure||Same across all plans (GCP)||Varies by plan|
|SSH Access||All plans||All plans|
|Global Data Centers||24 locations||2 locations|
|Bandwidth Limits||No limits (within AUP)||Varies by plan|
|Container Technology||100% resource isolation on all plans||X|
|Free Migrations||All plans||All plans|
|Staging Environment||All plans||All plans (limited amount)|
|PHP Versions||PHP 7.1, 7.2, 7.3 7.4||PHP 5.3 – 5.6, 7, 7.1, 7.2, 7.3|
|Switch PHP Engine||One-click change in dashboard||cPanel MultiPHP Manager plugin|
|Free CDN||34 (All regions)||Varies by plan|
|Free SSL Certificates||All plans||All plans (manual installation)|
|Uptime Monitoring||All plans||Pro plans|
|Resource Limits||Only limited by PHP workers||Varies by plan|
|Multisite Support||Pro plans and higher||Not specified|
|Reverse Proxy Support||✓||✓|
|Redis Add-on||✓||VPS and Dedicated only|
|Elasticsearch Add-on||✓||VPS and Dedicated only|
|New Relic APM Support||✓||X|
|Multilingual Dashboard||English, Spanish, German, Dutch, Portuguese, Italian, French, Swedish, Danish, Japan||Not specified|
Free WordPress Migrations
Kinsta provides free premium migrations with all of our hosting plans. Our experienced and skilled experts take care of the entire migration process for you, so you won’t have to deal with any of the complex technology or worry about losing critical data.
To make things easy for you, Kinsta offers unlimited free migrations from InMotion Hosting! Whether you want to move one site or dozens of them, our hassle-free migrations provide a simple, effortless process.
To get started, the only thing you need is to do is complete our site migration request form. From there, our team will contact you to schedule a time based on minimizing downtime. You can also easily track the migration status via your MyKinsta dashboard.
Technically, migrations are also a free feature available for InMotion Hosting users. However, this only applies to accounts with up to three databases and/or websites. If you want to transfer more, there’s a $10 per item charge.
Expert Support for WordPress
Kinsta offers 24/7 premium support on all plans. It doesn’t matter if you have a personal blog or run a Fortune 500 company site, you’re always treated as a critical priority.
InMotion includes free, 24/7 support on its plans. However, they also use a multitude of different hosting platforms. Typically, this results in subpar support agents and simply less knowledge when it comes to handling complex issues.
Our support team is made up of WordPress experts and engineers who are always ready to help you. No problem is too big or too small.
To make support as quick and convenient as possible, we use the Intercom customer messaging platform. All conversations are logged, so you never have to repeat yourself.
Our average initial ticket response time is under two minutes! For further proof, check out our customer support ratings for the past two years. More than 97% of our customers left a chat support session happy or satisfied:
InMotion’s support is U.S. based. At Kinsta, we offer multilingual customer support and a knowledge base with resources available in 10 languages.
Tech support provided by Kinsta support team [is] on point. Quick, simple and always available on chat! I was trying to import a 631Mb MySQL Database. WPE took 2 days to complete this task, Kinsta tech support had this imported for me in under 30 mins. We currently manage sites located on various servers around the world on 1&1, GoDaddy, SiteGround, DreamHost, InMotion and Fashosts. We’ll be migrating these over since Kinsta has proven their worth!.
Safe and Secure
Kinsta understands how important a secure site is, which is why we take both active and passive measures to safeguard your site and server. Unlike with InMotion Hosting plans, we don’t share resources, meaning your site is already more secure on the Kinsta platform than it would be otherwise.
InMotion only includes a 99.99% uptime guarantee on Pro plans. It also limits physical uptime checks to once per month. On the other hand, Kinsta monitors your site every two minutes for uptime.
Some of Kinsta’s security features include:
- Google Cloud Platform firewall
- Strict software-based restrictions
- Real-time DDoS attack detection
- Two-Factor Authentication (2FA)
- Isolated LXC containers
- GeoIP blocking
- Automated backups with all plans
- Self-healing PHP
- Free, hack-fix guarantee
- Only support for encrypted SFTP and SSH connections (no FTP)
If we’re notified about a vulnerability on your site, we’ll contact you immediately to keep you updated on the next steps. We always act swiftly and efficiently, keeping you in the know.
InMotion also offers malware and hack protection. However, the Kinsta difference is that if we do find something wrong with your site, we’ll fix it for free.
Kinsta Has a Global Presence
One of the advantages of choosing Kinsta as your managed WordPress host, and something that distinguishes us from other providers such as InMotion, is our massive global footprint. Kinsta has 24 data centers (and counting) around the world, with our presence spanning five continents.
Starting at just $30 per month, Kinsta plans let you choose a different data center for each of your sites, with no hidden charges or extra costs. Our current locations include:
- Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA
- London, UK
- Sydney, Australia
- St. Ghislain, Belgium
- Changhua County, Taiwan
- Mumbai, India
- The Dalles, Oregon, USA
- Ashburn, Virginia, USA
- Moncks Corner, South Carolina, USA
- São Paulo, Brazil
- Seoul, South Korea.
- Salt Lake City, USA.
- Frankfurt, Germany
- Jurong West, Singapore
- Tokyo, Japan
- Montréal, Canada
- Eemshaven, Netherlands
- Hamina, Finland
- Los Angeles, California, USA
- Hong Kong
- Zürich, Switzerland
- Osaka, Japan
- Las Vegas, USA
- Jakarta, Indonesia
InMotion Hosting only has two data center locations, both of which are based in the U.S. One is in Los Angeles, C.A. and the other is in Washington D.C.
Turbocharging Your Content Delivery with Kinsta CDN
At Kinsta, we understand the importance of a fast website. That’s why, in addition to the free bandwidth included on all of our plans, we also provide a free premium Content Delivery Network (CDN).
KinstaCDN is a premium HTTP/2 and IPv6-enabled Content Delivery CDN. Our powerful content delivery architecture is built specifically for high throughput and low latency.
With our CDN, your content will be delivered and cached from 34 POPs around the world. These locations span all major regions, including Asia, America, Europe, Australia, South America, and Africa!
InMotion Hosting says that a free CDN is included with all WordPress plans. However, it offers little information on the feature beyond that.
Best Affiliate Program in the Industry
At Kinsta, we always aim to exceed our customers’ expectations, which is why we have many happy clients who are eager to spread the word about our products and services. This show of dedication and appreciation has helped us become one of the fastest-growing managed WordPress hosts.
This is why we’re proud to offer true profit sharing with our affiliate program — which is among the highest-paying in the hosting industry. From freelancers to agencies, we’re excited to partner with our customers so you can share in our earnings and take advantage of the opportunity to earn a passive income.
With our affiliate program, you can earn between $50 and $500 (depending on the plan) for every signup you refer to us. On top of that, you will receive a 10% monthly recurring commission for the lifetime of the customers referred to us by you.
We also created our own unique WordPress hosting affiliate dashboard. Therefore, you won’t have to deal with complicated third-party platforms.
InMotion hosting also has an affiliate program. However, participants can only earn up to $50 per sale.
Join Others Making the Switch to Kinsta
At Kinsta, our mission is to provide you with the fastest and latest technology possible. This is why we’re always evolving, innovating, and improving.
If you don’t believe us, just check out our many feature updates! No other host in the industry pushes out new features, tools, and integrations at the speed and frequency that Kinsta does.
We are proud of our platform and stand behind our service. We also want you to be completely satisfied with your hosting. That’s why we always offer a 30-day money-back guarantee on all plans. Plus, unlike InMotion, we don’t require long-term contracts.
If you’re ready to make the move away from InMotion Hosting and switch to a new hosting provider, take advantage of the free website migration and try out Kinsta risk-free for 30 days!