OVH is a flexible web hosting platform. It offers shared hosting, Virtual Private Servers (VPS), and dedicated hosting plans..
Kinsta, on the other hand, is a managed WordPress hosting solution. That means we focus 100% on WordPress, and our clients don’t have to worry about maintenance tasks such as updating the CMS, creating backups, optimizing for performance, and more.
This makes Kinsta a great option if you want to focus on growing your website instead of managing your own server. With OVH, you get a solution that’s more DIY and not optimized for WordPress users.
In this page, we’ll show you the key differences between Kinsta vs DIY hosting providers such as OVH.
How Kinsta Compares to OVH in a Nutshell
Before we talk about the specifics of Kinsta and OVH’s tech stacks, let’s take a look at the primary differences between these web hosts.
Kinsta offers a unique web hosting experience powered by the Google Cloud Platform. On all of our plans, you get access to Google’s premium tier network, which provides some of the best performance and security in the hosting market.
On top of that, we carefully optimize every aspect of Google’s servers to provide the best WordPress experience possible.
We are also proud to be the highest-rated managed WordPress host on G2, the world’s leading software review and comparison site:
Enjoy a 20% Faster Website Simply by Moving From OVH to Kinsta
We measured 3,200+ migrations over the course of a three-month span. On average, client sites experienced 20% faster load times just by moving to Kinsta.
How is this possible? Our customers enjoy:
- The fastest Compute-Optimized C2 VMs and Google Cloud servers
- A stack that’s been fine-tuned for WordPress over the past 8 years
- Google’s Premium Tier Network to deliver website data faster
- Free CDN powered by Cloudflare’s global network of 275+ locations
- A hard-to-beat server-level caching solution
Migrate from OVH to Kinsta hassle free with our free expert migration service. With our 30-day money-back guarantee, you can test out the service and improved speeds completely risk-free. You only lose if you don’t give this a try!
With OVH, you do get to choose from multiple types of hosting. However, whether you opt for shared hosting, a VPS, or a dedicated plan, you’re on your own when it comes to server management.
Moreover, you’ll need to install WordPress yourself. Overall, using OVH requires you to be more hands-on when it comes to taking care of your server.
At Kinsta, we have a team of system administrators who take care of everything that isn’t related to running your website. Some additional differences between OVH vs Kinsta are:
- Kinsta offers an all-in-one hosting solution for WordPress websites. OVH provides a broader range of hosting plans, but it leaves server management in your hands and isn’t optimized for WordPress users.
- With Kinsta, you get a platform that’s both beginner-friendly and includes advanced features for developers. OVH’s shared plans are easy to use if you have experience setting up and configuring WordPress. For other options such as a VPS or dedicated server, you’ll usually require development or server administration experience.
- Kinsta offers a broad range of plans for WordPress websites, ranging from personal projects to enterprises. OVH offers multiple cheaper shared hosting options, but it’s not as well-suited for most projects.
- Kinsta has 35 data centers around the world, whereas OVH has 28. However, with OVH, pricing varies depending on the server locations that you choose. Kinsta users can select any server they like without an additional cost.
- Kinsta offers free Content Delivery Network (CDN) and premium DNS integration on all of our plans. OVH offers CDN and DNS options, but only as premium add-ons for its users.
- With Kinsta, you get access to premium around-the-clock support with every plan. OVH offers expert support as an add-on for its hosting services.
- Kinsta helps you migrate your website to our platform for free. OVH doesn’t offer migration services as a part of its plans.
- Kinsta comes with a custom dashboard designed for optimizing the WordPress experience.
- Kinsta enables you to set up staging websites on all plans. OVH doesn’t include staging functionality.
- All Kinsta plans include a free application performance monitoring (APM) tool to help you identify and fix performance issues
- Kinsta gives you a 30-day money-back guarantee, whereas OVH only gives you a 14-day period.
- Kinsta also has a very popular and rewarding affiliate program.
Try it out for yourself with our free MyKinsta dashboard demo! Register your account to see the user-friendly interface and explore our various tools.
Kinsta is Built for Performance and Scalability
Most hosting plans fall into predetermined categories, such as shared hosting, VPS, and dedicated servers. Those are precisely the types of plans that OVH offers to its customers.
Kinsta takes a different approach when it comes to hosting. While we call ourselves a managed WordPress hosting solution, that doesn’t paint the full picture when it comes to our offerings.
With Kinsta, you get custom-built infrastructure powered by the Google Cloud Platform. When you combine that with our in-house optimizations and WordPress expertise, you get a unique type of hosting solution.
While other web hosts like OVH offer cheaper hosting plans, they can do that because they leave server optimization and management up to their users. At the shared hosting level, you may pay less to power your website, but the trade-off is that you’ll need to spend much more time ensuring that it runs smoothly, and fix issues on your own when they occur.
With Kinsta, you not only pay for server resources, but also for our hosting and WordPress expertise. The benefits become evident once you consider some of the tasks you’ll need to take care of on unmanaged hosting solutions:
- Migrating your website
- Setting up a CDN or a premium DNS for your website
- Gaining access to performance analytics
- Monitoring website uptime
- Troubleshooting technical or security issues with your website
- Setting up server-level caching
- Securing your server and website
- Mitigating DDoS attacks
At some point, opting for managed vs unmanaged hosting becomes a matter of how much your time is worth. For personal projects that may not require as much maintenance or optimization, shared unmanaged plans can be a good low-cost solution.
However, for business websites or projects that you plan to grow, Kinsta’s managed hosting solutions can offer a stress-free alternative. Although they can be more costly, your time will remain free to focus on your business strategy and growing your website to its full potential.
Starting at $35 per month, Kinsta plans help you take care of all the maintenance tasks we’ve talked about so far. What’s more, Kinsta offers unmatched scalability. That means the platform can take you from a new website to one that gets thousands of visits per day, and still provides optimal performance.
With Kinsta, you can launch a new WordPress website from your MyKinsta dashboard in a matter of minutes. With OVH, you’ll need to set up WordPress manually and configure it before you can get to work.
Depending on the type of site you’re running, simply switching to Kinsta usually results in an immediate and dramatic increase in performance!
Kinsta has allowed us to offer a bulletproof service to our top tier clients and keep them happy. Especially those who have traffic spikes with sudden server demand.
To sum it all up, Kinsta managed WordPress hosting means you don’t need to take the role of a sysadmin to ensure that your website runs at its best at all times. Our experienced technicians take care of everything for you, so you can focus on what’s really important.
Expert Support for WordPress
Although WordPress is a user-friendly CMS, every website runs into occasional performance issues or technical errors. In some cases, your website’s security might even be compromised.
If you find yourself in any of those situations, you can either troubleshoot them on your own or reach out to your web host’s support system. With some web hosts, however, you don’t have the luxury of around-the-clock support or access to technicians who know their way around WordPress.
One of the primary advantages of managed WordPress hosting is that our support team knows WordPress inside and out. We offer the same level of premium support for all our customers and plans.
With Kinsta, you get access to WordPress and Linux experts, as well as troubleshooting resources in over 10 languages. On average, we take under two minutes to respond to live chat requests, which you can make at any time from your MyKinsta dashboard.
For the past two years, more than 97 percent of our customers closed a chat support session happy or satisfied with the support they received:
If I’m talking with another developer and they want recommendations on WordPress hosting, Kinsta hands down. It’ll save you headaches and all sorts of issues and your clients will be super happy so it’s a no brainer.
Although OVH also offers around-the-clock support, it’s only available as an extra, starting at 250€ per month ($306). Regular support is also available via multiple channels, including mail, phone, and chat, but only during working hours.
MyKinsta: A Custom-Built Dashboard for Powerful Site Management
Both OVH and Kinsta offer custom control panels to manage your website in multiple languages.
But where Kinsta differs is that our custom hosting dashboard, called MyKinsta, is designed specifically for WordPress site management:
Let’s take a look at some of the powerful features that make our MyKinsta dashboard so useful:
- One-click staging environments, and an option to restore backups to production or staging. OVH does not offer these options.
- Quick phpMyAdmin access.
- Premium Amazon Route 53 DNS, to manage your DNS records directly in the dashboard.
- Detailed analytics and insights, including bandwidth and visitor data, performance analysis data, CDN usage and insights, and cache HIT and MISS ratio.
- A built-in Cloudflare integration with optimized settings to secure and boost the performance of your site without the need for a separate Cloudflare subscription.
- One-click CDN setup.
- A search and replace tool to make performing bulk updates easy.
- One-click PHP version switching, and the option to restart PHP when needed.
- A dashboard tool to purge the site’s cache.
- Simple redirect management.
- A built-in and free Application Performance Monitoring tool (Kinsta APM) for all of your sites
- The ability to quickly and easily block IP addresses via the IP Deny tool.
- Automatic Cloudflare SSL certificates, with the option to import your own. With OVH, you would need to set and renew Let’s Encrypt on your own.
- A WordPress debugging tool.
- Simple password protection for your environment, and the option to strengthen login security by adding your SSH keys to the dashboard.
- A multilingual dashboard that’s available in 10 languages: English, Italian, Spanish, French, German, Portuguese, Japanese, Swedish, Danish, and Dutch.
Kinsta is the best WordPress host I’ve had so far. They are quick to help, easy to deal with, and really know their stuff. Plus their servers are super fast!
If you want to try out MyKinsta for yourself before you sign up, you can create a free account to try out a demo of the dashboard and explore its features.
At Kinsta, we value our clients’ feedback and are always looking for opportunities to improve. We regularly incorporate the requests and feedback we receive to enhance our offerings. We’re always innovating and exploring new ways to make your website and hosting experience better!
Kinsta is Developer-Friendly
Although shared hosting plans tend to be cheaper than their managed counterparts, they’re often lacking when it comes to advanced functionality. That means you’ll have access to fewer developer-friendly options.
OVH’s shared hosting plans are not the exception. If you’re looking for advanced features, you’ll need to opt for OVH’s VPS and dedicated servers.
Kinsta was created with both developers and regular users in mind. MyKinsta includes a broad range of developer-friendly tools, but it’s also intuitive enough that you can use it without a web development or sysadmin background.
Our team also includes a lot of developers and engineers, which means we understand what your needs are and the kind of tools that other web hosts often lack. Some of the developer-friendly features you’ll have access to at Kinsta include:
- One-click staging environments for all plans.
- Git, WP-CLI, and SSH access included, regardless of your plan.
- Five different types of backups available: automatic/daily, optional hourly, manual, system generated, and downloadable. OVH gives you access to one, two, or three-day-old backups, as well as a one-week-old option.
- A Redis add-on for quicker database performance.
- The option to load your site over reverse proxy.
- Unrestricted access to your site’s critical files.
- The ability to use custom setups such as Bedrock and Trellis.
- An option to run a different version of PHP for each live and staging site, and the ability to switch your PHP version with one click. Although OVH doesn’t include staging functionality, the custom OVH panel does enable you to switch PHP versions with one click.
- Default enabled post and page revisions for WordPress.
- The ability to restore backups to staging as well as production. Plus, we don’t include backups as part of your total web storage usage.
Staging environments are critical for testing plugins, themes, and core updates to ensure that they’re compatible with your website and won’t cause anything to break. They’re also an important feature for debugging code and developing projects before pushing them live.
That’s why we offer one-click staging for every WordPress site hosted at Kinsta. You can create a new staging environment directly from your MyKinsta dashboard. You can push changes live with a single click, as well as restore backups to a production or staging site.
It doesn’t get any easier than that. Plus, as with backups, your staging sites aren’t included in your total disk space usage (only your live sites are).
Although OVH doesn’t offer staging functionality, you can still create copies of your website to use for testing or development purposes. However, you’ll have to do so manually, which means pushing those copies to production isn’t a seamless process.
Kinsta offers free Cloudflare SSL certificates on every plan, as well as the option to install your own.
OVH offers free Let’s Encrypt certificates with all its shared hosting plans, which you can activate from your custom hosting panel.
Develop Locally with DevKinsta
For developers and agencies, Kinsta offers a simple to use (but powerful) local development tool called DevKinsta. With DevKinsta, you can launch WordPress sites with a full hosting stack and SSL support on your local computer with just a few clicks.
DevKinsta is fully integrated with MyKinsta and Kinsta’s hosting platform, which means you can develop locally and push updates directly to a staging environment on Kinsta! OVH doesn’t have an integration with a local WordPress development tool, which means there is no way to clone and push WordPress sites for their customers. If you’re a busy freelance or agency developer, DevKinsta’s advanced features and MyKinsta integration can be a huge time saver.
Free Performance Monitoring Tool
WordPress is a dynamic CMS, which means it’s constantly executing PHP code in the background. Depending on your theme and plugin configuration, it’s possible for your site to get bogged down with bloated and inefficient code.
That’s where APM (Application Performance Monitoring) tools can help. An APM monitors requests to your site, and tracks various metrics like external API requests, database queries, PHP execution time, and more. This information allows you to quickly debug and troubleshoot performance bottlenecks.
All Kinsta plans come with a free custom-built APM tool that can be easily accessed right in the MyKinsta dashboard. Kinsta APM provides you with key WordPress performance insights without the need for expensive third-party subscriptions to other APM services.
With Kinsta APM, you can debug the following and more:
- Slow WordPress plugins and themes.
- Long calls to external APIs and domains.
- Unoptimized MySQL database queries.
OVH plans are unmanaged and do not come with a free APM tool, which makes it very difficult to quickly troubleshoot performance issues on your WordPress site.
Website Performance at Kinsta
Each year, Review Signal conducts a performance test and review for the top hosting companies in the industry. For the past five years, Kinsta has scored top-tier status. Although Review Signal doesn’t include OVH as part of its roundup of best WordPress hosting services, it does rate the company’s services by averaging independent user reviews.
On Review Signal, OVH has an overall rating of 40% and a support rating of 28%. As far as pricing goes, OVH scores 61%, and has an uptime rating of 88%.
When comparing performance between OVH vs Kinsta, it’s important to understand that shared hosting is a wholly different type of service from Kinsta’s scalable cloud infrastructure. On OVH’s basic plans, you share resources with other users. We use Google’s latest Compute-Optimized (C2) virtual machines and automatically allocate hardware resources, including CPU and RAM, to each site container as they’re needed.
For better performance, you’d need to opt for OVH’s VPS or dedicated server plans. In those cases, though, you’d still need to configure and optimize your servers to get the best performance possible. For example, you’d want to set up server-side caching, integrate a CDN, and use a premium DNS. All of those are features that Kinsta offers out of the box, or enables you to set up with a few clicks from your MyKinsta dashboard.
Safe and Secure
When using OVH, securing your server and website largely falls on you. That’s fine if you have a sysadmin background, but otherwise, setting up firewalls, scanning your site for malware, and updating software can eat up a lot of valuable time. One feature that OVH does offer out of the box, however, is DDoS protection.
All sites on Kinsta are automatically protected by Cloudflare’s firewall, which includes free DDoS protection. With our Cloudflare integration, you’ll get the benefits of enhanced security and performance without having to configure your own Cloudflare account.
Kinsta also offers DDoS protection, among several other security features that keep your server and website protected against malicious attacks. This includes:
- Monitoring your sites every two minutes for uptime
- Implementing strict software-based restrictions
- Free Cloudflare integration, which includes a secure firewall with built-in DDoS protection.
- Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) support
- Automated backups for all plans
- Isolated LXC containers
- Self-healing PHP
- Only support for encrypted SFTP and SSH connections (no FTP). OVH, on the other hand, supports both FTP and SFTP.
Kinsta provides premium uptime monitoring for all of your WordPress sites via our in-house developed monitoring system. The status of the sites hosted on our platform are checked every two minutes. On the off-chance that something were to happen to your site, we offer a free 100% hack-fix guarantee.
Kinsta Has a Global Presence
Kinsta has a global presence, with 35 data centers (and counting) spanning five continents. Our massive footprint makes it easy for you to pick a different data center for each of your websites. Plus, there are no extra fees or hidden charges!
Our data center locations include:
- Changhua County, Taiwan
- Hong Kong
- Tokyo, Japan
- Osaka, Japan
- Seoul, South Korea
- Mumbai, India
- Delhi, India
- Jurong West, Singapore
- Jakarta, Indonesia
- Sydney, Australia
- Melbourne, Australia
- Warsaw, Poland
- Hamina, Finland
- Madrid, Spain
- St. Ghislain, Belgium
- London, United Kingdom
- Frankfurt, Germany
- Eemshaven, Netherlands
- Zurich, Switzerland
- Milan, Italy
- Paris, France
- Tel Aviv, Israel
- Montréal, Canada
- Toronto, Canada
- São Paulo, Brazil
- Santiago, Chile
- Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA
- Moncks Corner, South Carolina, USA
- Ashburn, Virginia, USA
- Columbus, Ohio, USA
- Dallas, Texas, USA
- The Dalles, Oregon, USA
- Los Angeles, California, USA
- Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
- Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
With OVH, you get access to 28 data centers in locations spanning three continents. However, costs vary depending on which data center you decide to use. That means the prices you see for each plan can change, since you’ll want to opt for the data center that’s closest to your audience.
Free WordPress Migrations
Whether you want to move one site or 100, our hassle-free migrations make doing so quick and easy. We handle the entire migration process for you, so you won’t have to deal with complex technology or risk losing critical data.
To get started, simply complete our site migration request form, and a member from our team will reach out to schedule a time. Then you can track the migration’s status directly from your MyKinsta dashboard.
With OVH, you need to migrate your website manually to its platform. Although WordPress offers a broad selection of migration plugins and tools, things can still go wrong during the process. If you’re not comfortable migrating your site by yourself, your best bet is to opt for a provider that can do it for you.
Our agency has worked with all the major hosting platforms. Kinsta is crazy fast and the support is stellar! We moved all our clients to Kinsta and haven’t looked back.
Optimized for WooCommerce and Easy Digital Downloads
Ecommerce is vital for many businesses, and WordPress offers some of the best tools and plugins for online stores. However, if you want to offer the best possible ecommerce experience, you need to use a web host that is optimized for it.
Kinsta is optimized for online stores, and our solution is configured to work out of the box with plugins such as WooCommerce and Easy Digital Downloads.
To optimize the speed and performance of your online store, we offer automatic purging of cache and archive pages, as well as:
- Excluding ‘My Account’, checkout, cart, and other pages that shouldn’t be cached
- Ensuring a smooth checkout process by automatically bypassing the cache for users when “woocommerce_items_in_cart” or “edit_items_in_cart” are detected
- Putting specific rules in place to allow EDD and WooCommerce functionality during server-level page caching
With OVH, you’re not limited in any way when it comes to setting up an online store using WordPress. However, OVH doesn’t offer any ecommerce optimizations or solutions for the CMS.
Turbocharging Your Content Delivery with Kinsta CDN
All Kinsta plans include free CDN integration. At any time, you can enable a CDN for your website through the MyKinsta dashboard:
OVH also offers you the option of enabling a CDN for your websites. However, its custom CDN solution is offered as an extra, and not part of its plans out of the box. OVH’s custom CDN has locations in three regions: North America, Europe, and Asia.
As far as bandwidth goes, both Kinsta and OVH offer unlimited monthly traffic. However, if you’re using OVH’s shared hosting plans, it’s worth noting that limited system resources will likely impact your site’s performance if it starts to get too much traffic.
Feature Comparison Overview
Now that we’ve made it this far, let’s take a look at some of the biggest differences between Kinsta vs OVH:
|Pricing||Plans start at $35/month||Starts at 1.99€ excl. VAT per month|
|Money-Back Guarantee||30 days on all plans||14 days on all plans|
|Premium 24×7 Support||All plans||Only with the Business Support level (paid option) at 250€ excl. VAT per month, and the Enterprise Support level at 5,000€ excl. VAT per month|
|Free Cloudflare Integration||✓||X|
|Core Infrastructure||Same across all plans (GCP)||Private data centers|
|SSH Access||All plans||All plans|
|Global Data Centers||35 locations||24|
|Bandwidth Limits||No limits (within AUP)||No limits|
|Container Technology||100% resource isolation on all plans||No containers for shared hosting plans|
|Free Migrations||All plans||No|
|Staging Environment||All plans||No|
|PHP Versions||PHP 7.4, 8.0, 8.1||PHP 5.6, 7.0, 7.1, 7.2, 7.3|
|Switch PHP Engine||One-click change in dashboard||Manually|
|Free CDN||34 (All regions)||Only as a paid add-on (11.99€ per month)|
|Free Premium DNS||Amazon R53||DNS Anycast, only as a paid add-on at 1.19€ per month|
|Free SSL Certificates||All plans||All plans|
|Free DDoS Protection||✓||X|
|Uptime Monitoring||All plans||X|
|Resource Limits||Only limited by PHP workers||Varies by plan|
|Multisite Support||Pro plans and higher||All plans|
|Free APM Tool||Kinsta APM||X|
|IP Geolocation||✓||All plans|
|Reverse Proxy Support||✓||X|
|New Relic APM Support (license required)||✓||X|
|Multilingual Dashboard||English, Spanish, German, Dutch, Portuguese, Italian, French, Swedish, Danish, Japan||Yes|
Best Affiliate Program in the Industry
Kinsta always goes above and beyond to exceed our clients’ expectations, which is one of the reasons many of our happy customers are often eager to help spread the word about our WordPress hosting solutions. This has helped position us to become one of the fastest-growing hosts in the industry.
This is why we’re proud to offer an affiliate program, one of the highest paying in the industry, that provides the opportunity for true profit sharing as well as an effective way to earn a passive income!
As a Kinsta affiliate partner, you can earn as much as $500 (depending on the plan) for every signup referred to us. In addition, for the lifetime of the customers referred, you’ll receive a 10% monthly recurring commission.
Another benefit of our affiliate program is that we use a custom-built dashboard, so you won’t ever have to deal with confusing third-party platforms. Everything is accessible and straightforward.
At this time, OVH does not offer an affiliate program. However, it does offer a reseller program.
Join Others Making the Switch to Kinsta
At Kinsta, our mission is to offer the fastest, latest technology possible. We’re always evolving and adapting to use the most innovative solutions available. When you check out our many feature updates, you can see that no other hosting provider releases the number of new features, tools, and integrations at the same rate and frequency.
We are proud of our solutions, and want you to be completely satisfied with your hosting. If you’re ready to make the move away from OVH and switch to a new managed hosting provider, try out Kinsta risk-free for 30 days!