Sometimes a school needs to register students online for a field trip, a business owner may need to register users for an upcoming conference or seminar. Regardless of the reason, a great course of action is to use one of the best WordPress user registration plugins.
Features To Look for in WordPress User Registration Plugins
Not all WordPress user registration plugins are made the same. However, there are some features that you should almost always keep an eye out for:
- Options for unlimited forms.
- Tools for collecting payments from members. It’s great to have PayPal support, but credit cards are even better.
- The ability to protect your content and block some users from seeing it.
- Support for multiple membership levels and payments.
- Drag and drop editors so that you don’t have to work with much code when designing forms.
- Large collections of custom fields.
- Social login buttons for quick access.
- A member directory for managing your users.
- Good-looking login and registration form templates.
- User profiles with things like avatars, bios, and social links.
This isn’t a complete list of features you’ll need, so be sure to make a little list of what your organization needs the most. Then check out our extensive reviews below.
9 Best WordPress User Registration Plugins
Here’s a quick list of our favorite user registration plugins:
1. User Registration
The User Registration plugin contains what companies need to make a simple, yet effective, frontend registration module. The drag and drop builder improves your design process and eliminates the need for any complicated coding. We like this as one of the best lightweight user registration plugins and the fact that most of the best features are packaged into the free plugin.
If you do plan on upgrading, consider the Personal plan for $49. This is where you start to receive premium addons (instead of paying for them separately). For instance, the Personal plan has seven premium addons, while the Plus plan provides 14 addons. Some of the other premium tools involve functions like email marketing, file uploading, and content restrictions.
Although the free version does the trick for smaller businesses, we can’t help but recommend the Personal plan for its major upgrades. For example, you receive additional tools for file uploading, advanced fields, and a WooCommerce integration. Some of the premium addons include invite codes, LearnDash support, field visibility, and more.
Features That Make User Registration a Great Choice:
- The User Registration plugin is one of the cleanest ways to get a user registration form on your website. It’s all managed on the backend, but you can take a look at the visual builder to see what’s being presented on the frontend.
- You can create an unlimited number of registrations forms, even in the free version.
- The shortcode support enables you to place your registration forms in columns, pages, and posts.
- Email notifications send out to both users and admins.
- Several form templates come with User Registration, cutting down on development time.
- Download user data with a simple CSV export.
- The paid versions give you access to a collection of incredible addons. Some include social buttons, content restriction tools, and file uploads.
- ECommerce sites can also take advantage of the User Registration integration.
Who Should Consider User Registration?
We like the User Registration plugin for those who want simplicity when creating registration forms. This is an affordable plugin, and you have the opportunity to test it out before paying for the premium package.
In addition, User Registration has a wide range of addons that help with making your forms more advanced.
RegistrationMagic uses powerful registration tools to offer the webmaster complete control over how user registrations are completed and how you manage them. At its most basic, RegistrationMagic allows you to make multiple registration pages for different users.
This way, one user would come to your site and see alternative fields compared to someone else. A wide variety of other features are included, such as options for accepting file attachments on your user registration forms. We also like the fact that you can accept payments from new users.
Every incoming registration is monitored and logged on the dashboard. You also get to work with a visual form builder instead of messing with code or settings. The autoresponders are great for notifying new users, and the MailChimp registration can help you build your email list.
The free plugin is filled with features that most businesses should be fine with. This includes extensions like the Export/Import, Magic Popup, and Visual Form Editor extensions. The premium plan starts at $89 and provides additional features such as a token system, manual approvals, PDF branding, and dozens of other unique capabilities. You can only use the premium version on one site, while the Premium+ package allows for unlimited sites at the price of $189.
Features That Make RegistrationMagic a Great Choice:
- RegistrationMagic offers a free plugin with a large collection of user registration features. The paid version is also affordable and it expands the feature-set drastically.
- You receive a visual form manager for designing what your users see before signing up for your site.
- Multiple form styles are provided for you to get started with your design without code. You have options for accepting document attachments at registration.
- The plugin provides a way to present different forms to different users.
- It has a security panel with reCaptcha support, submission limits, and banned email addresses.
- Email notifications are sent out to the admin and user after registration.
- You can integrate this plugin with the likes of MailChimp and other email marketing tools.
- WooCommerce integrates nicely as well.
- The plugin links to payment processors such as PayPal and Stripe for collecting payments on membership or exclusive sites.
- Set limits as to how many registrations are allowed and how many attempts they have.
- You have full control over the look of your registration form. This control also applies to your user management.
Who Should Consider RegistrationMagic?
We like RegistrationMagic for general users, considering the plugin is almost an all-in-one solution for user registration on WordPress. You receive the basics such as simple forms and customizations, along with less common features such as document attachments, payment acceptance, and autoresponders.
3. Ultimate Member
The Ultimate Member WordPress plugin boasts high download rates and impressive ratings, making it a go-to solution when trying to offer frontend user profiles, registration forms, and login options. The custom form fields are essential for designing your logins the way you want, while the drag and drop builder is sure to improve the user experience while designing.
The core plugin is free and comes with some excellent tools for user account pages, conditional logic for forms, and member directories.
What’s great about Ultimate Member is that the core features will work well for beginners and smaller businesses. Users can then upgrade by paying for individual extensions, or by paying for all of the extensions with one yearly pass. Some of the extensions include options for making content private, adding a reCAPTCHA, and integrating with Instagram.
The extensions vary in cost, but many of them go for about $40 for one site. The Extension Pass provides all 20 extensions for $249 per year.
Features That Make Ultimate Member a Great Choice:
- The core plugin is available for free with plenty of great features. In addition, site owners have the flexibility to either buy individual extensions or get all of them for a bulk deal.
- UltimateMember also sells a theme that integrates seamlessly with the plugin.
- Powerful registration features include role selection, multiple registration forms, and registration actions.
- You can implement anti-spam measures and create a custom password reset link.
- The user profiles offer bios, user info, cover photos, and more.
- You’re able to generate user roles with the help of general permissions and varied profile access.
- The member directories offer you options for sorting users, having social icons, and showing cover photos.
- You can choose to have global site access with rules based on certain pages and posts.
- The custom fields have a wide range of options, such as required fields, star ratings, and file uploads.
- Emails are automatically sent out throughout the registration process. For instance, your site will send out a pending review email and account rejection emails.
- The form builder is useful for all experience levels, with tools for adding rows, creating multi-column layouts, and re-ordering form elements.
Who Should Consider Ultimate Member?
UltimateMember makes quite a bit of sense for companies that want to test out a user registration plugin and have the opportunity to expand functionality with individual extensions. There are also plenty of unique extensions and features like the Instagram integration and private messages.
4. User Registration & User Profile
Also known as Profile Builder, the User Registration & User Profile plugin serves as an all-in-one user registration and profile manager for WordPress. A long list of free features are offered with the plugin, some of which include a drag and drop form builder and a module for building a custom user login widget. Some other elements we enjoy are the content restriction options and the reCAPTHA, both of which require no payment from the user.
The Premium Version of Profile Builder starts at $69 per year for use on one site and the addition of many features. For instance, a few of the advanced addons in this plan include a social connection, WooCommerce sync, and bbPress support. You can also upgrade to $149 per year for a handful of other user modules like repeater fields, and custom redirects.
Like all great user registration plugins, Profile Builder looks beautiful on the frontend and backend. The conditional logic should ensure full customization, while the importing and exporting assists in managing your users in a more organized fashion.
Features That Make User Registration & User Profile a Great Choice:
- The free version is jam-packed with features you wouldn’t expect to get without a premium membership. Not only that, but the developers offer two affordable yearly plans for additional tools.
- It’s easy to restrict content based on the user role you give a person.
- Shortcodes are utilized for making areas for registration, profile management, and logins.
- Managing forms and profiles is done with the help of a sleek drag and drop editor.
- Users often need to pay for things like content restriction and reCAPTCHA in other competitor plugins. That’s not the case in Profile Builder.
- The Premium Version integrates with bbPress and BuddyPress, helping you build a social network or forum.
- The WooCommerce sync is possible for restricting access to certain pages on your eCommerce website.
- You have the opportunity to generate multiple registration forms and multiple edit profile forms in the Premium Plan.
- Users get to enjoy possible integrations with MailChimp and MailPoet for enhanced email marketing.
Who Should Consider User Registration & User Profile?
We like the Profile Builder plugin for those who enjoy working with shortcodes. Most of the forms and modules you create with the plugin have shortcodes for easy implementation on the frontend. Profile Builder also has a strong feature-set in the core plugin if you don’t feel like paying for anything.
5. WP User Manager
WP User Manager offers a highly customizable community builder with support for user-profiles and registration forms. Everything from password recovery to account customization comes packaged into this powerful and flexible membership/registration plugin. Free features and extensions are available, with a collection of other addons that require payment. Some of our favorite features include custom emails, MailChimp, and the social login. All of these we just mentioned are paid addons, ranging from $39 to $149 depending on how many sites you need to use the plugin on.
You can find all features and upgrade packages on the WP User Manager website. The developer doesn’t sell monthly or yearly packages for all features, but rather, you can purchase all addons individually or download them for free in some cases.
Out of the free extensions, here’s what to expect:
- Account Deletion Tool
- Personal Data Exports
- Username Length Minimums and Maximums
- A Google reCAPTCHA
Other than that, the actual plugin includes free features such as SEO URLs, content restriction, and custom redirects. This is one of the cleaner, simpler plugins for implementing user registration. The frontend forms are easy to implement, the user directories look modern and highly functional, while the custom widgets and designers boost your ability to design a user registration system within no time.
Features That Make WP User Manager a Great Choice:
- Many of the plugin’s main features are given out in the free version. For instance, custom redirects and content restriction rules come along with the core plugin.
- The plugin is developer friendly, while also allowing beginners a cleaner registration form for users.
- WP User Manager is translation ready.
- The simple user directories make it great for finding users and organizing them in one list.
- The shortcode editor ensures that all of your forms and modules can be placed anywhere on your website.
- There’s no need to pay for a $100+ per year membership, since all of the addons and extensions are sold separately. This way, you only end up paying for and using the addons you need.
- The plugin has several free and paid addons for things such as user verification, social logins, and MailChimp.
Who Should Consider WP User Manager?
This is a somewhat barebones user registration plugin for WordPress. Therefore, it looks like a good choice for developers who want more of a blank slate to customize forms. Not only that, but it serves as a highly minimalistic system that won’t clutter space on your website.
The UsersWP plugin presents tools for creating a user directory, user profile, registration form, and login form. All of these are unlimited, so you can generate multiple login forms on the same website. The point of the plugin is to be as lightweight as possible, allowing users to have a better experience, while providing some more efficient tools for making the forms in the first place. For example, the drag and drop profile builder combines nicely with the various shortcodes for tasks like editing profiles and registering users.
The profiles are basic, but they incorporate essential elements such as avatars, cover images, and optional tabbed menus. So, if you added the menu it would display user posts and comments. The regular download is free, and you receive two free addons: the Social Login addon and one for a reCAPTCHA.
It appears that the developers make money with the sales of premium addons. This definitely limits the number of features you get for free, but at least users can choose the addons they need and skip the ones they don’t. Find the premium addons here, and consider paying for all of them for the price of $99.
The addon list is rather long, but here are several that seem popular amongst users:
- User Moderation
- Restrict User Signups
- MyCRED to reward users
- Multisite Creator
- Many more
Features That Make UsersWP a Great Choice:
- The basic plugin has a simplistic interface that anyone can use. It’s basically a drag and drop editor to make forms, paired with many shortcodes.
- The shortcodes are available for things like user profiles, login forms, and user directories.
- The shortcodes are automatically implemented after all of the proper pages are activated. This means that it only takes the click of a button to turn all of the shortcodes on.
- The user profiles provide interesting information like user posts and comments.
- The profile pages have the essentials, like avatars, cover images, and even menus.
- Over 15 addons are available for activating powerful features like MailChimp, profile progress bars, and follower counts.
- The addons typically sell for around $29, which is quite reasonable. Not to mention, you can order all of the addons for a steeply discounted price.
- It’s easy to search through your user database and locate people based on name, picture, or even when the users signed up.
Who Should Consider UsersWP?
Simplicity is the name of the game with the UsersWP plugin. It works well for those who want a clean drag and drop form builder. It’s also nice for users who like shortcodes. Finally, UsersWP does a great job of catering to those selling items online. For instance, the plugin has addons for Easy Digital Downloads and WooCommerce.
Tired of WordPress issues and a slow host? We provide world-class support from WordPress experts available 24/7 and blazing fast servers. Check out our plans
ProfilePress boasts solid tools for frontend logins and user registration. The plugin is meant to conform with just about any WordPress theme. The catch is that you must know how to code with HTML and CSS to establish a professional-looking form. That being said, the developers also sell form themes that are meant to go along with certain industries and provide commonly used fields so that you don’t actually need to know how to code.
The themes look clean and modern, but they are typically listed at high prices such as $599. Therefore, we feel it makes the most sense to use this plugin if you’re an advanced developer. There’s no reason to spend that much money when you have several other alternative plugins with drag and drop editors.
Having said all of that, developers have the opportunity for less expensive packages, starting at $99 per year. This provides all official themes, three professional add-ons, and all of the regular add-ons. Heck, there’s even a Personal Plan for $69 if you’re trying to save on this plugin.
Overall, ProfilePress is a solid plugin with dozens of themes and addons. It’s not as straightforward for beginners, but with the right pieces, you could make it work.
Features That Make ProfilePress a Great Choice:
- ProfilePress delivers support for an unlimited number of forms and password fields, all for free.
- You can redirect users to different pages after actions like logins, registrations, and password resets.
- Developers and even some novices have the opportunity to purchase packages with form themes. This is the best way to make a form in this plugin without coding.
- Social logins are provided for Google, Github, and Facebook.
- You can upgrade for a customizable tabbed widget, along with a one-time passwordless login feature.
- Much of the plugin is automated for reseting passwords, sending out emails, and presenting welcome messages to the newest users.
- Multisite integration is possible with the help of a premium addon.
- You can manage everything from shipping to billing fields by using a WooCommerce integration.
- BuddyPress has its own integration.
- Utilizing email marketing with your user database is done with the help of the MailChimp and Campaign Monitor integrations.
Who Should Consider ProfilePress?
ProfilePress looks appealing to developers who want to begin with beautiful form templates. It’s not a plugin we would specifically recommend for beginners, but it could be useful. As for the functionality, we particularly enjoy the automation features for emailing users and redirecting to different pages.
UserPro can only be purchased as a premium plugin. The listing on CodeCanyon is $39, but this occasionally changes based on what we’ve seen from the developers. UserPro is the entire package with a lower price point, allowing users to create login and registration forms with full freedom. Member listing layouts improve how you involve users and understand what they’re doing on your site. Send out badges and achievements to convince your users to engage more and reach certain milestones.
The one-click social connection tool is also worth mentioning, considering users can sign up for your website with the use of their social profiles.
The backend of the plugin looks a little intimidating at first, but it’s actually rather organized once you get the hang of it. For instance, you can check on everything from pending requests to WooCommerce activity, and emails to role-based fields. Editing fields and settings are done with the help of a drag and drop editing tool, with dozens of fields to choose from and customize.
Features That Make UserPro a Great Choice:
- UserPro is a premium plugin with one payment package. It’s affordable and great if you want some premium customer service for the first few months.
- A PayPal integration is given to you for free, making it easy to collect payments from members.
- Multiple registration form templates are provided with custom fields.
- You can incorporate a handful of one-click social media login buttons. Some of these include Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
- The beautiful user profiles have user photos, names, social links, and biography areas. It also only requires one click for users to follow other users on your site.
- UserPro provides badges and achievements to incentivize your users to complete tasks like writing blog posts or interacting with other users.
- You can restrict website access based on what type of user a person is.
- The plugin includes a searchable member list for individuals to locate people who have similar interests. This is presented in a sleek, grid-based photo list.
Who Should Consider UserPro?
Just about any company or site owner will find UserPro rather powerful. Having said that, the achievements and badges appear to be the most unique features in the plugin. This way, it allows you to create a system with gamification involved as well. We also think the plugin works wonders if you’d like to get payments through PayPal.
ARMember is yet another one of the best WordPress user registration plugins being sold on CodeCanyon. Again, this makes for lower pricing, lots of features, and a bit of customer support when getting started. ARMember goes for $43, and it provides excellent content protection, several membership models, and subscriptions through WooCommerce sites. You can also find some respectable login and signup forms that don’t take long to design.
The login and registration forms look sleek and modern, with spots for logos, multiple fields, and “lost password” links. The backend user list allows the admin to manage everything from membership types to statuses. Avatars and usernames are also incorporated into the mix.
One of the main reasons the ARMember plugin looks so appealing is because of its extensive membership support. It doesn’t matter if you’d like to let members join for free or for payment. It also doesn’t matter if you’d like to allow for yearlong memberships or monthly. Along with multiple payment cycles and multiple payment methods, the ARMember plugin boasts an impressive feature-set.
Features That Make ARMember a Great Choice:
- ARMember only has a one-time fee for a large collection of features.
- The plugin allows for an unlimited number of membership types and payment cycles.
- The login and registration forms are some of the most beautiful ones you can find on the market.
- Allow your customers to login with social user information from Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Security options are built into the plugin for protecting the entirety of your website not just the plugin.
- Add multiple levels of membership to get more money and provide the best content to the VIPs.
- Users are able to select how they want to pay, whether it be with a credit card or PayPal.
- You can drip content and give out badges to those users who are most active on your website.
- Invoicing and coupons are available for collecting your payments and prompting new users to visit and sign up at your site.
- The plugin integrates directly with WooCommerce so that admins can sell memberships with their current eCommerce sites.
Who Should Consider ARMember?
ARMember has a bevy of features that make life easier for selling memberships. That’s why it appears to be an excellent option for membership sites that collect payments. The reason for this is because ARMember integrates with WooCommerce, allows for multiple payment methods, and the membership options are much better than the competition.
Which of the Best WordPress User Registration Plugins is Best for Your Business?
The unfortunate thing about user registration plugins is that there are so many of them. However, we’ve cut it down to the best of the best, hopefully making your choice much easier!
Here are some final recommendations on who should decide on which plugin:
- RegistrationMagic – Consider this plugin for the best all-around user registration solution.
- User Registration – This is a great one for simplicity.
- Ultimate Member – Great for unique addons and options for extendability.
- User Registration & User Profile – Think about this plugin if you like shortcodes.
- WP User Manager – A solid choice for developers who want to start with a barebones form builder.
- UsersWP – We enjoy UsersWP if you crave simplicity (drag and drop builder and great shortcodes).
- ProfilePress – A good one for developers.
- UserPro – We love this plugin if you want achievements and badges.
- ARMember – Excellent for selling memberships and other items.
That’s it! Let us know in the comments below if you have any questions about the best WordPress user registration plugins.
Save time, costs and maximize site performance with:
- Instant help from WordPress hosting experts, 24/7.
- Cloudflare Enterprise integration.
- Global audience reach with 32 data centers worldwide.
- Optimization with our built-in Application Performance Monitoring.