This feature allows you to manage your site’s themes and plugins directly from MyKinsta. From the Plugins and Themes page, you can:
- See a list of WordPress plugins installed on your site.
- See a list of WordPress themes installed on your site.
- See the version number of the latest update for each theme or plugin.
- Update each plugin or theme individually.
- Bulk update all themes at the same time.
- Bulk update all plugins at the same time.
- Bulk update selected themes at the same time.
- Bulk update selected plugins at the same time.
Viewing Your Installed Plugins and Themes
To see the plugins and themes installed on your site, log in to MyKinsta, select your site, and click on the Plugins and Themes tab.
The current version of the plugin or theme is shown in the Version column, and if an update is available, the latest version will be shown in the Update column.
Updating Plugins and Themes
To update a single plugin or theme, click the Update button on the right side for that item.
To update multiple plugins or themes, select the checkbox next to each item and click the Update button. The checkbox in the table header can be used to select all items in the list.
In the Update modal/pop-up that appears, click the Update Plugins button to confirm the updates you want to perform and start the update process.
While the update process is underway, actions on the Plugins and Themes page will be disabled, and a notification will appear at the top of the page.
Once the process completes, actions on the page will be available once again, and a success message will appear.
Errors and Troubleshooting
There may be situations where an update fails. If this happens, an error message will be shown on the Plugins and Themes page.
If an option to restore a backup appears on the page, click the Open Backups button to begin restoring a backup.
Can I update plugins and themes on multiple sites at the same time?
No, the feature is only available at the environment level. You’ll need to go into each site and environment in MyKinsta to view and update plugins and themes.
Can I choose which version of a plugin or theme to update to?
No, you can only update to the latest version of a plugin or theme.
Can I use this feature to downgrade a plugin or theme?
No, you can only update to the latest version of a plugin or theme. You cannot go back to a previous version.
What if there’s an issue with an update? Can I undo the change?
While there isn’t a built-in way to undo an update, we make a snapshot of the environment just before the update, which you can restore. Note: Snapshots created before a plugin or theme update are only available for two hours.
Can I still manage my plugins and themes in my WordPress dashboard?
Yes, you can continue to handle plugins and themes through WordPress.
Can I use this feature on any site?
Not quite. While the feature will work just fine on most sites, there are some situations that will prevent this feature from working:
- Issues that prevent us from running WP-CLI.
- Premium (payment required) and custom (built by you or your developer) plugins or themes may not have a publicly available update endpoint, so they cannot be updated from MyKinsta. In some cases, we may detect that a new version is available, but the update process fails due to not being available via the standard WordPress endpoint.