How Much Does a Dedicated Server Cost?
The short answer is it depends. Pricing varies depending on:
- Resources needed for your site.
- Amount of traffic expected.
- The data center location where your site is hosted.
Our team will need this information, along with some other details, to provide a quote for a dedicated server plan.
Important Dedicated Server Information
- Your current hosting plan at Kinsta needs to be active and have enough visits and disk space for all sites on your plan.
- If you anticipate an increase in traffic and this is your reason for purchasing a dedicated server, make sure your current plan is large enough for that increase. If not, you’ll need to upgrade your plan first.
For example, if you’re currently on a Business 1 plan (100,000 visits/month) and you expect your site to receive 1,000,000 visitors, you’ll want to upgrade to at least an Enterprise 2 plan that supports 1,500,000 visits/month.
- The Dedicated Server subscription is separate from your hosting plan and the first month of the Dedicated Server subscription is non-refundable. The hosting plan itself is eligible for our normal refund policy.
Dedicated Server Checklist
- Is the dedicated server for normal traffic, or to handle an increase in traffic during a short-term event?
- If the dedicated server is for a short-term event, when will the event start and end?
- What is the URL of the site?
- Does most incoming traffic arrive at a specific page? If so, what page?
- What is the maximum number of concurrent users you expect during peak usage?
- What is the average page view duration you expect during peak usage (“Average time on page” in Google Analytics)?
- What is the average number of page views per visitor you expect during peak usage?
- How will a typical visitor use the site? For example, will they reach a landing page, select a product, and check out, or will they log into the website, select a course, and complete the course by watching videos and reading copy, or something else?
- How would you describe your site? Is it primarily an ecommerce site? Do you offer an online course? Is it a membership site? Is it a news website?
- If your site is an ecommerce site, requires users to log in, or allows visitors to post content (other than comments, like a forum for example), what plugins are you using to for these interactive features (e.g. WooCommerce, BuddyPress, bbPress, Easy Digital Downloads, LearnDash, etc)?
- Is your site a standard WordPress installation or is it a WordPress multisite installation?
If there’s any additional information you think we should know, please include that with your request.
How to Purchase a Dedicated Server
Gather the information requested in the previous section as early as possible. A dedicated server takes time to provision and configure, so it’s crucial that you contact our Account Management team to start the process as early as possible.
Once you have those details, open a new ticket with our Account Management team. They’ll be in touch to provide a quote for your dedicated server.
After you approve the quote and pay for the first month of service, our team will need up to 3 business days to configure the dedicated server. Once it’s ready, our team will coordinate with you to move your site container to the dedicated server.