When you host your WordPress website with Kinsta you will need to point your domain and or DNS to us so that our servers can deliver your site to visitors.
Point Domain to Kinsta
You have two different options when pointing your domain (DNS) to Kinsta. The first is to simply point your domain to your assigned IP address. The second, which is recommended, is to use Kinsta’s premium DNS feature with Amazon Route 53. You can read more about why premium DNS is important. If you are already utilizing a 3rd party DNS provider then option 1 is fine.
- Option 1: Point Domain to Kinsta With “A record” (IP Address)
- Option 2: Point Domain to Kinsta With Nameservers (Premium DNS)
The first thing you will need to do is locate the IPv4 address of your WordPress site. This can be found in your MyKinsta dashboard under your sites “Info” tab.
You will then need to go to your domain registrar or 3rd party DNS provider and setup/point your domain’s A record to the IP address above. Here are some links on how to setup an A record with popular DNS registrars:
- How to add A record with Namecheap
- How to add A record with GoDaddy
- How to add A record with Google Domains
- How to add A record with Bluehost
We partnered up with Amazon Route 53, a global Anycast network. They offer DNS failover as well as latency and geolocation routing to help ensure your website is always online and stable. The routing is especially important as it makes sure that your DNS is routed to the nearest location with the lowest latency. Amazon Route 53 premium DNS is included for free for all Kinsta customers. Follow the steps below to use this method.
In your MyKinsta dashboard click into “Kinsta DNS.”
Click on “Add Domain” at the top.
You will then need to point your domain with your domain registrar to the newly created nameservers . You can view these for each of your domains on the main “Kinsta DNS” page.
Here are some links on how to change nameservers with popular DNS registrars :
- How to change nameservers with Namecheap
- How to change nameservers with GoDaddy
- How to change nameservers with Google Domains
- How to change nameservers with Bluehost
After you point your domain to our nameservers, your WordPress site will require at least an A Record and CNAME to function properly. If you click into your domain it will prompt you to add your first DNS record.
The first record you’ll want to add is an A record.
- In the hostname field, leave this blank to be associated with your main domain.
- Add your Kinsta IPv4 address into the IPv4 address field.
- We recommend a 1 hour TTL for all records (1 hour is set by default). The less frequent the DNS requests are, the lower your site’s load time will be.
The second record you will want to add is a CNAME. To add additional records simply click on “Add a New DNS Record” at the top.
- A CNAME record handles the redirection of www to non-www or vice versa. In this example below, we are adding a redirect for www to non-www.
- This is based upon a personal preference for your site.
You can then manage all your records from the main Kinsta DNS screen. All DNS records support in-line editing for quick changes.
We also support adding and management of these additional DNS records: