This article contains all the information you need about Kinsta’s WordPress Hosting plans, including how to add a new plan, manage multiple plans, switch your plan, request a custom plan, reseller and whitelabel plans, and how to cancel your plan.
Add a New Plan
Follow the steps below in MyKinsta to add a plan to a new account or add a plan to an account where you previously canceled your plan.
Click your name in the upper-right corner of MyKinsta and select Company settings from the dropdown menu. In the left navigation, My Plan should be selected, taking you to the Plans & subscriptions page.
- To create a new WordPress site, click the Start WordPress Plan button in the WordPress site section and continue with Step 3 below.
- To create a new application, click the Create an application button in the Application section and follow the steps to Add an Application.
- To create a new database, click the Create database button in the Database section and follow the steps to Add a Database.
Choose a monthly or annual WordPress plan and click the Continue button. Complete the Billing and Summary steps, adding a new payment method if needed.
While you can’t have multiple WordPress Hosting plans under a single MyKinsta company, there are two ways you can easily manage multiple plans:
Option 1: Create Multiple Companies
You can create multiple companies and add new a new plan within that company.
Option 2: Create Separate Accounts and Grant User Access
Switch Your Plan
Whether you want to upgrade or downgrade, switching your Managed WordPress Hosting plan at Kinsta is easy. Usually, it can be done with a few clicks in MyKinsta without reaching out to our Billing team.
There is no downtime involved, and everything is automatically prorated down to the second. Follow the steps below.
There are a multitude of reasons why you might need to upgrade or downgrade your hosting plan. Here are a few common examples:
- You want to take advantage of Kinsta’s annual discount (two months free).
- You need more disk space or are launching additional WordPress sites.
- You have a very demanding site and need additional PHP workers as recommended by our support team.
- Your website has become popular, and you need to increase your visitor count limit.
- You’re no longer working with a client and don’t need as large of a plan.
- You’re shutting down sites and are under the limits included in your current plan.
- You’re on Kinsta’s legacy plans and want to switch to our new plans based on visitor counts. (Note: once you switch from our legacy plans to our new plans, you can’t switch back)
System is Prorated
Our system is prorated, which means we calculate the unused time on the old plan and the remaining time on the new plan within the monthly or annual billing period. We use Stripe as our payment provider, and the prorated amount is calculated down to the second. You can, in fact, upgrade or downgrade multiple times in a month, and everything is automated on our end.
Upgrades Are Not Applied Retroactively
Important note about overages: When you upgrade plans, your new plan takes effect immediately from the time you make the change. If you’ve incurred any overages before upgrading, those overages will still be applied to your next invoice. This is because when you upgrade plans, your new plan is only in force going forward from the moment you make the change. The new upgraded plan is not applied retroactively.
For example, let’s say you register for the Starter plan ($35 per month / basically $1.17 per day / allows 25k visits). Over the next 30 days, you get 100,000 visits which results in an overage of 75k visits. On the 30th day, you upgrade to the Business 1 (B1) plan. We would reimburse you $1.17 for the remainder of the Starter plan and charge you $3.83 for one day on the B1 plan. So before considering any overage, the total cost would have been $37.76 ($33.93 for 29 days on the Starter plan, $3.83 for one day on the Business 1 plan). You would then still be responsible for the one-time overage of 75k visits, which comes out to $75 ($1 / 1,000 visits).
Proration Example 1
You sign up for a Business 1 monthly account and then decide to switch to a Business 2 monthly account 10 days into your current period. As long as the difference in the final amount due is lower than $100 there are no payments made at this time, the additional cost will be added to your next invoice. If the total amount due is increased by more than $100 we may charge the amount automatically.
- The Business 1 plan is $115 USD/month, and the Business 2 plan is $225 USD/month.
- 10 days were used under the Business 1 plan (for this example, in a 30 day month), and 20 days under the Business 2 plan.
- This means you have 20 days of the Business 1 plan that will be credited for the time remaining in your current billing term in the amount of $76.67.
Calculation: $115 / 30 * 20 = $76.67
- And 20 days of your new Business 2 plan that will be due in the amount of $150.
Calculation: $225 / 30 * 20 = $150
- The total amount of this upgrade for the remaining 20 days in your current billing term would be $73.33.
Calculation: $150 – $76.67 = $73.33
- As plans are always paid for in advance, your next invoice will contain the balance due from your upgrade and also the full price of next month’s Business 2 plan, which is $225 for a total of $298.33.
The total paid amount at the beginning of your new period is $298.33.
- Unused time on Business 1 (20 days) = -$76.67
- Remaining time on Business 2 (20 days) = $150
- Price for 1 month of Business 2 = $225
- Total: $298.33
Proration Example 2
You sign up for a Pro monthly account and then decide to downgrade to a Starter monthly account 13 days into your current period. There are no refunds made at this time. Your next invoice(s) will be reduced by any credit amounted.
- The Pro plan is $70 USD/month, and the Starter plan is $35 USD/month.
- 13 days were used under the Pro plan (for this example, in a 30 day month), and 17 days under the Starter plan.
- This means you have 17 unused days of the Pro plan that will be credited for the time remaining in your current billing term in the amount of $39.67.
Calculation: $70 / 30 * 17 = $39.67
- And 17 days of your new Starter plan that will be due in the amount of $19.83.
Calculation: $35 / 30 * 17 = $19.83
- The total credit amount of this downgrade for the remaining 17 days in your current billing term would be $19.84.
Calculation: $19.83 – $39.67 = -$19.84
- As plans are always paid for in advance, your next invoice will apply the credit from your downgrade toward your next month’s Starter renewal, which is $35, for a total due of $15.16.
The total paid amount at the beginning of your new period is $15.16.
- Unused time on Pro (17 days) = -$39.67
- Remaining time on Starter (17 days) = $19.83
- Price for 1 month of Starter = $35
- Total: $15.16
When switching from a monthly to an annual plan, your monthly plan will be closed, and a new annual plan opened. The system automatically calculates a credit based on the time left on your monthly plan and applies the credit toward the amount due for the new annual plan.
Switching Between Annual Plans
Any changes to an annual plan (upgrades or downgrades) will cancel the plan and create a new plan with a new billing date, including add-ons. The system will apply the remaining balance on the previous plan to the new one.
How to Switch Hosting Plans
Follow these steps to switch your hosting plan in MyKinsta.
Click your name in the upper-right corner and select Company settings from the dropdown menu. In the left navigation, My Plan should be selected, taking you to the Plans & subscriptions page.
In the Update a WordPress plan modal, you’ll see your current plan highlighted. You can then select the plan you want to switch to. Note: You’ll see both the monthly plans and annual plans (with the two free months discount already applied).
If you’re on a custom plan, you’ll see a form to send a custom plan change request instead. Include the plan you want to switch to in your message, and our Billing team will be happy to assist you with that change.
We also have 15% discounts on all plans for charities and nonprofits and open-source projects. You can switch plans at any time, but if you do not see the option to select a new plan in the modal/pop-up that appears, you’ll see the custom plan change request form instead. Include the plan you want to switch to in your message, and our Billing team will switch your plan and manually add the discount for you.
Once you’ve selected your new plan, click Update. Your new plan limits (number of sites, visitors, disk space, etc.) will then be reflected in MyKinsta. Note: You may need to refresh your screen.
And, of course, if you have any questions regarding switching plans, feel free to open a ticket with our Account Management team.
- Each of our plans includes a predefined number of free migrations. However, these do not reset when you switch plans. For example, say you’re currently on a Starter plan, and you used your one included migration to move to Kinsta. If you later upgrade to Pro (which comes with two migrations), you’ll get one extra migration added to your account, not two.
- Changing plans with multiple sites may take a while to complete. In the meantime, you can close the modal/pop-up and use MyKinsta. If you’re concerned the changes are taking too long, please contact our Support team to check into that for you.
Custom WordPress Hosting Plan
We understand that a fixed Managed WordPress Hosting plan may not always be the best fit, so we’re happy to offer custom plans.
To request a custom plan, open a new ticket with our Account Management team and let us know what you need. An Account Manager will create a custom hosting plan proposal for you to review. If everything in the proposal looks good to you, reply and confirm it with your Account Manager, and they’ll send you details on what to do next to get started with your new custom plan.
For more information on custom Managed WordPress Hosting plans, including how we use metrics to make the right plan recommendation, please see our detailed guide: Can I Get a Custom Plan with Kinsta?
Reseller or White Label Plans
While we do not currently offer reseller plans that include a billing system, we have an affiliate program for all of our services, a referral program for all of our paid services, and an Agency Partner Program for Managed WordPress Hosting.
Kinsta’s Affiliate Program
As part of the affiliate program, you can earn a commission for every referral.
Kinsta’s Referral Program
Kinsta’s customer referral program lets you earn credits by referring others to Kinsta with a referral link. As soon as your referrals begin using and paying for any of Kinsta’s services, your credits begin accruing. Those credits are applied to your next invoice and lower the amount due.
WordPress Agency Partner Program
With Kinsta’s Agency Partner Program, you can resell hosting while you build, manage, and launch client sites with ease.
Even if you’re not quite ready to join our Agency Partner Program, you can use a standard plan for reselling. For example, if you’re a small agency with 5 clients, you can signup for a Business 1 plan and resell our hosting services to your clients with that plan.
Cancel Your Plan
Otherwise, if you need to cancel your Managed WordPress Hosting plan, we understand. While we hate to see you go, we try to make every aspect of using Kinsta as easy as possible, from signing up to cancellation. Perhaps your project has ended, or you were simply testing Kinsta for a client. Whatever the reason, you can cancel your Managed WordPress Hosting plan at any time from within MyKinsta.
Follow the steps below to cancel your Managed WordPress Hosting plan.
In MyKinsta, click on your name in the upper-right, then Company settings in the dropdown menu. Click on the Cancel plan button on the My Plan tab.
You will then need to check each of the boxes to indicate that you understand that:
- Your live and staging environments (Standard and Premium) will be deleted for all of your WordPress sites.
- All of your DNS records in MyKinsta will be deleted. This includes your DNS Zone and the ability to edit it.
- All of your CDN configurations and settings in MyKinsta will be deleted.
It’s important to understand all data is permanently deleted and cannot be recovered. Click Next to continue with the cancellation.
After canceling, your final bill is automatically calculated. There may be outstanding charges or refunds you are entitled to. Kinsta has a 30-day money-back guarantee. Click Next to continue to the next step.
Note: If you have a custom plan or have made plan changes recently, we may not be able to generate the final bill for you automatically. In this case, we’ll manually create your final bill, and you will receive it within 3 days. Your account will be fully closed once your final bill is created and cleared.
Finally, you’ll need to confirm your plan’s cancellation by entering your MyKinsta password. Then click on the Cancel plan button.
Your plan will then be canceled. We’ll ask that you provide some feedback on why you are canceling your Managed WordPress Hosting plan. We greatly appreciate you taking a few moments to fill this out for us. Kinsta was built from the ground up on user feedback, and we take all of it, even the negative, very seriously. This helps us improve our platform for everyone.
We thank you for using Kinsta and hope to see you back one day! 👋
Other Cancellations and Deletions
To cancel a Premium Staging Environment add-on, delete the Premium Staging Environment to stop additional billing. Deleting the Premium Staging environment will also cancel the add-on.
If you want to cancel other add-ons (Redis, Reverse proxy, etc.), you’ll need to reach out to our Support team. Please note that only users with billing permissions (Company owners, Company administrators, or Company billing users) are able to request the removal of an add-on.
If you’re looking for information about other types of cancellations or deletions, please see these guides:
Legacy Plan Details
We moved to a visitor-based pricing model in November 2017. For those of you still on our legacy bandwidth-based hosting plans, see the details below regarding account changes, upgrades, etc.
You can still upgrade and downgrade between the bandwidth-model plans from within MyKinsta.
The only exceptions are the Starter and Pro plans. They can only be used with the visitor-based pricing model. You can switch to these at any time by reaching out to our Support team.
Changes to Plans
Below is a summary of the changes to our plans that were made since we introduced visitor-based pricing in 2017:
- Business 1 plan previously had 1 install and 5 GB SSD. It now has 3 installs and 30 GB SSD.
- Business 2 plan previously had 5 installs. It now has 10 installs.
- Business 3 plan previously had 15 installs. It now has 20 installs.
- Business 4 plan previously had 20 installs. It now has 40 installs.
- Enterprise 1 plan previously had 40 installs. It now has 60 installs.
- Enterprise 2 plan previously had 60 installs. It now has 80 installs.
Below are additional details for each legacy bandwidth-model plan.
Legacy Business Plans
|Details||Business 1||Business 2||Business 3||Business 4|
|# of Installs||3||10||20||40|
|Server Bandwidth||50 GB||100 GB||200 GB||400 GB|
|Disk Space||30 GB||40 GB||50 GB||60 GB|
|Backup Retention||14 days||14 days||20 days||20 days|
|CDN Included||200 GB free||300 GB free||500 GB free||500 GB free|
Legacy Enterprise Plans
|Details||Enterprise 1||Enterprise 2||Enterprise 3||Enterprise 4|
|# of Installs||60||80||120||150|
|Server Bandwidth||600 GB||900 GB||1200 GB||1500 GB|
|Disk Space||100 GB||150 GB||200 GB||250 GB|
|Backup Retention||30 days||30 days||30 days||30 days|
|CDN Included||1 TB free||1 TB free||1 TB free||1 TB free|
Bandwidth overage: $1/GB
CDN overage: $0.01/GB
All legacy bandwidth-based clients are receiving the same amount of free CDN bandwidth as the visitor-based plans:
- Starter plan includes 50GB
- Pro plan includes 100 GB
- Business 1 plan includes 200 GB
- Business 2 plan includes 300 GB
- Business 3 plan includes 500 GB
- Business 4 plan includes 500 GB
- Enterprise 1 plan includes 1 TB
- Enterprise 2 plan includes 1 TB
- Enterprise 3 plan includes 1 TB
- Enterprise 4 plan includes 1 TB