Whether you want to upgrade or downgrade, switching hosting plans at Kinsta is easy. It can be done with a few simple clicks in the MyKinsta dashboard, without ever having to reach out to our billing team. Follow the steps below.
There is a multitude of reasons why you might need to upgrade or downgrade your hosting plan. Here are a few common examples:
- You want to take advantage of Kinsta’s annual discount (two months free).
- You need more disk space or are launching additional WordPress sites.
- You have a very demanding site and need additional PHP workers as recommended by our support team.
- Your website has become popular and you need to increase your visitor counts limit.
- You’re no longer working with a client and don’t need as large of a plan.
- You’re shutting down sites and are under the limits included in your current plan.
- You’re on Kinsta’s legacy plans and want to switch to our new plans based on visitor counts. (Note: once you switch from our legacy plans to our new plans, you can’t switch back)
Our system is prorated, which means we calculate the unused time on the old plan and the remaining time on the new plan within the 30-day or annual billing period. We use Stripe as our payment provider and the prorated amount is calculated down to the second. You can, in fact, upgrade or downgrade multiple times in a month and everything is automated on our end.
You sign up for a Business 1 monthly account and then decide to switch to a Business 2 monthly account 10 days into your current period. As long as the difference in the final amount due is lower than $100 there are no payments made at this time, the additional cost will be added to your next invoice. If the total amount due is increased by more than $100 we may charge the amount automatically.
- The list price of a Business 1 plan is $100/month
- 10 days were spent on the Business 1 plan
You have 20 unused days that you have already paid for, therefore you receive $66.67 credit
- The 20 unused Business 1 days were spent on a Business 2 plan which costs $200/month
- The cost of the Business 2 plan for 20 days is $133.33
Plans are always paid for in advance so your next invoice also contains the full price of next month's Business 2 plan, which is $200.
The total paid amount at the beginning of your new period is $267.66
Unused time on Business 1 (20 days) = -$66.67
Used time on Business 2 (20 days) = $133.33
Price for 1 month of Business 2 = $200
You sign up for a Pro monthly account and then decide to downgrade to a Starter monthly account 13 days into your current period. There are no refunds made at this time. Your next invoice(s) will be reduced by any credit amounted.
- The list price of a Pro plan is $60/month
- 13 days were spent on the Pro plan
You have 17 unused days that you have already paid for, therefore you receive $34 credit
- The 17 unused Pro days were spent on a Starter plan which costs $30/month
- The cost of the Starter plan for 17 days is $17
Plans are always paid for in advance so your next invoice also contains the full price of next month's Starter plan, which is $30.
The total paid amount at the beginning of your new period is $13
Unused time on Pro (17 days) = -$34
Used time on Starter (17 days) = $17
Price for 1 month of Starter = $30
How to Switch Hosting Plans
Follow these simple steps to switch your hosting plan.
Login to the MyKinsta dashboard. On the left-hand side click on “Billing.” Then click “update” on the plan you want to switch.
Kinsta billing – update plan
You’ll see your current plan highlighted. You can then select the plan you want to switch to. Note: You’ll see both the monthly plans and annual plans (with the two free month discount already applied)
We also have 15% discounts on all plans for charities and nonprofits, as well as open source projects. However, these are not available in the MyKinsta dashboard. You’ll need to contact our support team. You can switch plans at any time, but the discount will need to be manually added on our end.
Then click “Update.” Your new plan limits (number of sites, visitors, disk space, etc.) will then reflected within the MyKinsta dashboard. Note: You may need to do a refresh your screen.
And of course, if you have any questions regarding switching plans, feel free to open a ticket with our support team.